steering Damper

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I know Matris and Ohlins make steering dampers for the FZ6, year doesn't matter as the forks and tripples are all the same. You're looking at $600+ Not a whole lot of info out there on it them for the FZ. Of course they'll help if you're railing it at the track, but for everyday riding, even the weekend troublemakers, I don't think they're worth that much. Headshake is only noticable for me at least at 90+mph in turns.. which you should rarely be going that fast to begin with. I think upgrading the forks and/or rear shock would be a better way to spend the cash if you're looking for handling upgrades.

sobe

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot for all the info guys.... I was think of making my ride smooth during long trips....

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I read somewhere here that the fz6 doesn't really need one?
not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure I don't need one.

Why wouldn't an FZ6 need one? You can get tankslappers on an FZ6 like any other bike.. If you're going to push it hard it's safer to have a steering damper.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, i have an Ohlins steering damper on my FZ6N.

To answer the question, YES, it does make a difference, and i can tell you that, cause i am fortunate enough to own, and ride another FZ6 without one.

I cant tell you how much difference the steering damper makes, when you are riding 2 up in sports mode! before i had the damper, the front would get super light and quite nervous, so with the steering damper, i just adjust it about half way from off, and everything is settled.

It definitely makes the biggest difference at the track, or when riding roads like the infamous "D" road, that Ozzieboy posted a video of the other day...

But if you dont intend to ride the wheels off your FZ6, i would'nt bother, it is definitely a mod for those who intend to ride the FZ6 somewhere a little beyond it's normal, stereotypical boundaries!

Here is a couple of pictures of one of my favourite & most useful toys!

View attachment 26308

View attachment 26309

:rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you ride hard on bumpy roads it'll be an asset also. Every time the front lifts and touches down it meets the road surface differently, and once it start oscillating you can get in real strife.

Strangely enough, when I went to the track I only had the slightest of wiggles, out of turn three at Lala's. Definitely didn't need one for that nice smooth surface.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need a steering damper to tour on your bike. For that purpose it would not change anything.

I have to agree, like i said before, only if your gonna ride it like you stole it! Spend ya dosh on something else.

:thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
and even then... I ride my Buell like I stole it and never needed a damper on the streets... even when I put the Buell on the track I did not need one... but I guess it's like ABS... you don't need it 99% of the time until that one time when it'll save your ass... my personal opinion only :)

I don't know... I might just be dumb, but I won't spend $600+ for a damper for my Buell even though I ride it hard (by my standards).

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve fitted a Matris M3 steering damper. I live alongside the coast and find the damper works overtime whilst cruising down the coastline in windy conditions.

I’ve done a couple track days and the damper is an absolute winner.

Like Wolfman said “if you dont intend to ride the wheels off your FZ6, i wouldn’t bother, it is definitely a mod for those who intend to ride the FZ6 somewhere a little beyond it's normal, stereotypical boundaries!”

FZ6-ZN

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone mounted any steering damper on their Fz6N s2 08???

Most manufacturers put them on, on the bikes that need them.
Having said that I have owned bikes with them that needed them, bikes without them that simply did not need them - most of my personal instances, and I owned one bike, that came without one that REALLY NEEDED ONE!
Like everyone here says, most of it is your riding style and personal preference. Maybe when my Fazer logs some more miles and loosens up it'll need one.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just rode the 'wheel' off my FZ6 last night. Wondering if maybe I should press the button on a damper.

A quick jump at the lights last night and the front went a bit off the ground.....oops. On touchdown, I received an almighty tank slapper. I'm talking full lock to full lock. Then it slowed and I thought I was in the clear. Then in started again. Then finally stopped. I'm talking a good 50m maybe, it was crazy. Checked the head bearings (too loose?) but were fine.

Still scratching my head over it actually, never encountered it in this situation on another bike before.....

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
how many mm stroke damper should we get for our fz6? i seen ebay that have some universal ones that come without the mounting kit. any other bikes damper that can fit 07-09 fz6?