Steaming Engine

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05' that I bought 6 months ago with only 2500 miles. I have since put on another 800 miles, and it's runs just fine. I hadn't started it for 2 weeks so I fired it up just to let it run a while and now I have what appears to be steam coming out of the exhaust, even after I let it run long enough to get up to operating temperature. I suspect a blown head gasket. So my question is twofold.

1) does my assumption sound right or could there be something else going on

2) any idea what's reasonable to pay to replace a head gasket (yes I am embarrassed to admit that I am not comfortable doing it myself)

Thanks!!

Jim V

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If its been sitting for a while I'd suspect condensation build up, probably nothing to worry about. You can check your coolant for correct level and any contaminants, that will tell you if there is anything bad going on internally. Check your oil level, too.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If its been sitting for a while I'd suspect condensation build up, probably nothing to worry about. You can check your coolant for correct level and any contaminants, that will tell you if there is anything bad going on internally. Check your oil level, too.

+1! No way it's got a blown head gasket with 2.5k miles on it. Blown head gasket would be pushing out blue-ish smoke and it would STINK.

All your bike needs is a nice long ride to burn off condensation. :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look close at the exhaust, you'll see water dripping. Those are FZ tears, she is sad you didnt ride her for 2 weeks:BLAA:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you sure it isn't just regular exhaust smoke? water vapour is a by-product of petrol combustion IIRC

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
A 05 with just 2500 miles.... some people shouldn't own bikes. Good thing the original owner sold it. Don't worry about the vapor and put a few hundred miles on it this weekend it's time to break in the yamaha.

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you guys were right, took about 10-15 minutes, smoke disappeared, running well. I thought for sure I was going to get hosed at the dealer for a head gasket.

Thanks to all who responded, now I can go riding this weekend, my son just got a new Ducati, can't wait to try it