Starter Button

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Just recently I have had a problem with my starter button. Every so often when I go to kick the bike in, the starter button is dead, but when I go to bump start the bike the button usually works again. So decided to drop it in the garage for the mechanic to take a look at it.

The guy said that he could not see a problem with it as it started up every time. ( typically ). So he cleaned the contacts and told me that it should be Ok now. Went out this morning started up first time great! ... spoke to soon back on the bike and nothing...Dead. Now this is my problem now when I press the starter.. nothing but hold on.. when I pull the clutch leaver in the bike starts. starting to scratch my head now so I was just wondering if anyone else as had a similar problem like me. I'm no mechanic but for over three years I have never had to dip the clutch leaver to start the bike.

Cheers Phil. :thumbup:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Is your sidestand down when you do this? There is a safety switch on the sidestand that won't allow you to start the bike without pulling in the clutch with the sidestand down. Try starting it in neutral while sitting on the bike with the sidestand up...could be the sidestand switch is faulty.

Morrisey

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty starter motor to me, especially as it works when you try to bump it.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
New chain and sprocket fitted very nice. Starter button still the same, :( mechanic had the bike in over night so he could keep trying the starter. Tested and checked every thing that he could think of and said not let him down once.

Pushed the bike out of the Garage then pressed the starter button ;) magic! got the bike home tried the starter fine kicked in straight away, turned key back off & on again then guess what nothing back to holding the clutch leaver in now to start up.:(:(:(

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
if it starts when you hold the clutch is something else and not the start button. id say its the neutral indicator, standt switch, clutch switch or an other electrical problem but NOT the start button! think carefully, magicaly when you pull the clutch the button fixes it self? NO!

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Up Date.....Think I have sorted the problem out myself now thought about what I had fitted to the bike myself in the past which was a Stebel Nautilus air horn. So I decided to disable it and wire the original horn back up. Started the bike every day now for a week and not had any problems so far. (touch wood) :thumbup:

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Up Date.....Think I have sorted the problem out myself now thought about what I had fitted to the bike myself in the past which was a Stebel Nautilus air horn. So I decided to disable it and wire the original horn back up. Started the bike every day now for a week and not had any problems so far. (touch wood) :thumbup:

Forgot this post still had same problem with the horn disabled so it was back to the drawing board.

if it starts when you hold the clutch is something else and not the start button. id say its the neutral indicator, standt switch, clutch switch or an other electrical problem but NOT the start button! think carefully, magicaly when you pull the clutch the button fixes it self? NO!

Thanks to tomari it as turned out to be the clutch switch. Went to book it in for MOT so thought that I would ask the mechanic, he checked the switch by fixing a piece of wire to it and hey-presto it worked again. So now have ordered a new one which will be fitted just before the MOT result. :cheer: