Start of another fighter..

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after putting my bike down a couple weeks ago and losing the front fairing in the process, I decided to go the naked route.

Thanks to the folks whom I have purchased stuff from on the forum; so far everything has worked out great :)

I picked up a ground-down top clamp and clip-ons from cknatz. They were nicely powder coated, but everything on my bike is being painted in SEM Trim Black so I spent the last couple days modifying and stripping those parts. Finally done...

painted.jpg

Just waiting for Two Bros exhaust, headlamp and signals.

Will be purchasing the eBay levers, some Rizoma grips and some bar-end mirrors to complete everything.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, and :welcome: to the naked clan!

I always did love that triple after cknatz had the risers removed. That just looks fantastic.

One thing I may point out...have you thought about putting the clip-ons under the triple as opposed to on top of it? Doing it the way you've got it drops the forks through the triple a ton and might make the bike pretty squirrely. What really sticks out to me is how close the bottom triple is to the fork protectors. If you hit a big bump, I'd be afraid of bottoming out the forks.

Just my .02, but I can't wait to see the finished product. What headlight did you go with?

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
I've definitely thought about going under the triple. I'm gonna try it this way, but the Blackbird bars are just a stopgap really, I'm going to buy the HeliBars in the very near future. I'm also going to install a RaceTech spring kit, hopefully that saves me from any bottoming out issues..

I went with a basic 8" black Yamaha replacement lamp from FlyNCycle. I'm kind of a luddite when it comes to all these fighter lights everybody has.. The FZ1N light intrigues me, but is way spendy... maybe later. :)

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't tell you how it handles yet, I haven't ridden it (no headlight, signals, speedo).. It'll be a couple weeks or more before I get on the road with it. I may have the HeliBars by then..

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
good luck on the build! Clearance issues is definately something to pay attention to...
I do like the way the triple looks painted, did you do it or you buy it like that? I heard that there is a problem of getting the ignition lock out of the triple....do you know anything about it?

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
good luck on the build! Clearance issues is definately something to pay attention to...
I do like the way the triple looks painted, did you do it or you buy it like that? I heard that there is a problem of getting the ignition lock out of the triple....do you know anything about it?

I would also really like to know how difficult it is to remove the top triple clamp. Can you just undo the big nut on the top and slide it off of the top of the forks? Obviously, it's a little more involved than that, but I would really love to have my top triple powdercoated when I get my rearsets done, so it'd be nice if you could shed some light on how to remove that bugger.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I do like the way the triple looks painted, did you do it or you buy it like that?

He bought it from another member who had the risers removed. It's pretty slick looking and something I wouldn't mind trying at some point.

I would also really like to know how difficult it is to remove the top triple clamp. Can you just undo the big nut on the top and slide it off of the top of the forks? Obviously, it's a little more involved than that, but I would really love to have my top triple powdercoated when I get my rearsets done, so it'd be nice if you could shed some light on how to remove that bugger.

dturpen, this thread from a few days ago might help. I never knew you could take the top triple off without removing the forks from the triples. Pretty cool and looks fairly easy.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/31241-how-remove-top-triple-painting-fz6n-pic-heavy.html

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site

I bought the triple with the risers shaved from a forum member who'd had it powder coated black. The powder coating looked nice, but I stripped it and painted it with SEM Trim Black to match the other parts on my bike done in the same finish.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably give my drag bars up for some clip ons and a grinded triple tree. My metal working skills suck... I would need someone to do it for me.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
They seem a little low and to stick out a bit too much... or at least I didn't remember they sticked out that much.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
They seem a little low and to stick out a bit too much... or at least I didn't remember they sticked out that much.

There's no adjustment for how far they stick out, the slip junction is all the way on. They did seem a little low, but also there's not really any adjustment to be had there either unless I use some washers to shim up the mount/fender eliminator where the can straps bolt through.

I'm open to what others have done so solve either of these things?

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update..

Still not sure on the exhaust situation. It appears to definitely sit further back than others I've looked at, but there's no play in the setup. It's all as far forward as it can go. I haven't done it yet, but I will be shimming the mount where the can straps bolt in the raise the both cans up.

On to other things, I returned to the stock handlebar setup today. After an (admittedly short) test ride, having the forks that low in the triple was just too touchy. So I painted up the stock triple and bar clamp and I guess I'll be making my own drag bar shortly until a later time.

Headlight installed (not wired up yet, but harness has been modified):
lighted1.jpg

On a final note, I purchased a set of 2007 GSX-R inverted forks on eBay for $160 shipped. These have the black upper tubes and the radial mounts. Custom triple design begins.... NOW.

Cheers!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
On a final note, I purchased a set of 2007 GSX-R inverted forks on eBay for $160 shipped. These have the black upper tubes and the radial mounts. Custom triple design begins.... NOW.

Cheers!

Thats a bargain price for the gixer forks :thumbup:

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I had to ditch the clip-ons for now. I have another mod in the wait (fork swap), but in the meantime I've pretty much got the front end sorted out.

8" 'Yamaha' headlight from flyncycle, rizoma led signals from maverick and pjs. Snagged the cluster cover as well.

Everything's pretty solid, final step is to fab up an adjustment brace to keep the headlight stable vertically. Other than that, it's REALLY bright, lights up the road nice and looks pretty good to boot.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG