Standard exhaust + decat pipe

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone done this? I want more of a roar from the bike, but cant really justify spending hundreds on new rear cans.

It make any difference if anyone has done it? Will be a much cheaper option if it works

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone done this? I want more of a roar from the bike, but cant really justify spending hundreds on new rear cans.

It make any difference if anyone has done it? Will be a much cheaper option if it works
Sounds like a good idea. People are always saying the stock exhausts on bikes give the best flow rate. You could just get a welder/pipe bender to fab up a pipe for you for very little money and do it even cheaper.

If I was doing this, I'd probably also take a hole-saw to the outputs of the stock exhausts instead of those ugly tubes, then you get more of a roar with better looks and nice big exit holes. I think the stock ones look like scooter pipes without the covers.

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
I put an Arrow cat eliminator pipe on my bike a couple of years ago. I didn't notice much of a difference in the performance or sound. I watched for slip-ons and got a good deal on some slightly used ones. They make for a world of difference.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
To be fair, it won’t matter what you do to the CAT, i.e. remove it or drill it out, the stock silencer will do just that Silence...

With the FZ6 and most bikes come to think of it, they only have one silencer, and these must eliminate all unnecessary noise, therefore to get a decent tone, the silencer must either be modified or replaced. Either that or replace the pipes (not the cans) with some huge diameter pipe to create the echo chamber effect before it reaches the cans, which by the way, will give an OK tone, but is in no way worth the hassle involved.

IMO....Buy cans :rockon:

billygatso

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a decat pipe installed with stock cans and K&N filter. The exhaust tone is slightly lower and louder. I don't think there is much difference in power (bum dyno) but it has definately improved throttle response and the power builds smoothly as you wind it on. The biggest benefit is that the mid corner fuel cut experience is now barely noticeable. I do now get a very occasional "pop" on deceleration, but this is only when going from full to zero throttle. MPG is pretty much the same as before. I feel it was a worthwhile mod on the 05 model. Not sure if you would get the same benefits on the later 3 cat bikes.

:D

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
havent heard anything to support this statement on a street bike but, on dirt machines especially the woods/non-racey models the weld that connects the header to the flange that mounts to the head itself is restricting and if ground down will increase flow and in turn make a better noise. however most dirt bikes have a regular steel pipe where as the FZ is stainless. my bike is still under warranty and i haven't modified it mechanically so i haven't had the need to check. it is a possibility at this point if anybody wants to check for me that'd be great as i'm away from my bike till mid-late November. also, is there a way to "core" the exhaust? i.e. remove baffles/screens on the stock pipe, its another alternative with dirt bikes to buying an AM pipe?

again just suggestions/guesses, The Sweater.

samperry007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done it, I bought a 12" piece of 1 3/4" Stainless steel from McMaster-Carr. I only needed 6" to weld in. I cut the cat at the welds, and TIG welded in the new piece. It had a slightly deeper tone to the exhaust. I don’t know what it did performance wise, I never dynoed the bike before, now with a K&N and a PCv it makes 94 rwhp on a Dynojet.