Stalling when coming to stop

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have had my first ever problem with the FZ6. It has happened 3 times now in the last week. When I am coming to a stop and pull in the clutch while rolling the bike will stall out. At first I thought maybe I had bumped the kill switch or something, but it has happened 2 more times. It seems to be when I am engine braking, then pull in the clutch to coast up to a light. I have tried watching the tach since it happened last and when I pull in the clutch while rolling the RPMs will drop, I observed as low as 700. It seems to drop lower the more the engine is braking (for example, if I am engine braking in 1st at 30 mph then clutch, it will drop lower than if I pull the clutch at 10 mph).

Anyone else had this problem? I am going to do my throttle body sync and valve adjustment pretty soon and want to get this fixed as well.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how many miles on the bike, it seems that after a few thousand miles these bikes need the idle adjusted up. what RPM do you get when you just start it and let it idle for 10 minutes? should be up around 1200 or so...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
My idle wanders a bit, it averages around 1100 but will sometimes drop to 1040 and sometime be slightly above 1200. I have around 15,000 miles on it. I know the valve adjustment isn't due yet but they've been getting louder lately and I don't exactly baby the FZ so I was planning on doing it early.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked through that link posted, I actually already have the filter out for cleaning, I posted the thread while the K&N stuff was soaking in the filter and it is now drying. Hopefully that was the only problem, it was pretty dirty. I also managed to get quite a few leaves in it somehow...its not like the opening is big (still have stock filter housing) and I live in the middle of the desert.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the filter is finally dry so I'm gonna put it in and see if it fixes the stalling. I also bumped it up a little so its idling in the mid-1200s. While I had everything off I decided to do a little snooping around and find where the annoying noise I've been having is coming from. Well apparently the airbox muffles the noise more than I expected, with it off it was REALLY loud! The noise turned out to be the AIS. I don't know if something failed in it or what, because I know it is supposed to only come on at closed throttle and cold temperatures, but mine makes the noise from idle up to almost 6k. I pulled the AIS hose from the airbox and plugged it with my finger, noise immediately gone. Gave it a little throttle and the noise stayed gone. Took it to about 5k and only heard engine, no disturbing noises like I've been having. Didn't want to take it higher since it was reverberating in the garage and I don't want angry neighbors.

I hooked it back up for now just because I didn't have any caps/plugs the correct size, but I am going to test the new idle and clean filter while looking for some. I wasn't going to remove the AIS since there wasn't a viable reason to before, no point in polluting for no reason. However, I am not going to go out of my way to repair it, so it is getting blocked.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
There might be some adjustment or cleaning problems as I saw the similar threads.

Here is my same experience with my FZ6, 2006 fastest blue.
It happened couple of times for me at the high altitude. (up above mountain)
And it happened, strangely, right after oil change to non-synthetic.
Once happened about the oil-change scheduled time.
Never happened with synthetic oil., at the flat ground, or at the lower altitude.

Engine dies when clutch was dis-engaged from power train,
right after running high rpm, lower gears, and lower speed for a time to ride up above mountain. (not when riding down)
And during the rapid gear change to the 1st to be stopped.
(fast gear changing from higher to lowest gear) >> only at the high altitude.

I didn't do anything to fix problem, because it would not happen always.
Just few (couple or triple??) times.

My only guess is >>> OIL CHANGE or USE GOOD OIL >>> ha ha ha
I'm not good with the mech. or eng., so you can just disregard this, but safe to try it with good engine oil...
:D

PS: my idle rpm is always less than 1100 when engine is warmed up.
i would not change idle manually after good engine tune-up by dealer.
bike itself seems change the rpm back to her perferred settings ???
So, i do not change idle myself...:Flash:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, made sure the TPS recall had been done before I went on my first FZ trip to Denver back in 2008. So far no stalls today but seeing as it wasn't happening every day I'll wait and see.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd re-check the TPS again, just to make sure... Don't just check the high and low #'s but all inbetween. They shouldn't skip and all be there...

If it checks out fine cold, check it when its hot and acting up..

I know the idle is supposed to be set at 1300 or so, I have mine at 1000 and it idles rock steady. Did a Carb (FI) sync not too long ago as well...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll check the TPS again just to make sure. The idle now that I have raised it goes 1280-1340-1380 and occasionally breaks to 1440. It never shows numbers in between those, only shows the 40 RPM increments. I am about 1100 miles into my oil change, I always use Rotella and have never had problems before. I did change to a mobil 1 filter this time because Purolator decided to change their filter color from Yamaha blue to baby puke yellow for some reason.

Still haven't had any stalls since raising the idle. I do need to sync the throttle bodies, it has never been done on my bike. I am also going to block off my AIS, it is causing a loud vibrating noise not only on closed throttle, but even when accelerating up to about 5000 RPM.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With 15K miles on it, I'd get the sync checked/adjusted, its due.....

BTW, Its cheaper to buy a Morgan carbtune than to pay Yamaha to do it. Yamaha gets over $100 per sync, and you don't get to SEE the results/improvement...

The carbtune, shipped from England to south Florida was about $85.00. Paid for itself already, several times over on both the FZ, my FJR and several customers bikes... 4 stroke, 4 cylinder Yamaha outboard too..

Its not hard at all to do...

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I planned on doing it myself anyway. I never take it to the dealer for anything, I work at a Ford dealer and know how much dealers overcharge for stuff. The carbtune will pay for itself double, I have a plan brewing in the back of my mind to put ITBs on my GTi.