Squeaky Front Wheel?

MemphisTaco

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my bike for a week now. Have done Biker Dude's headlight mod and changed my oil today. I have a squeaky front wheel. I don't think its the brake though. Very noticeable before starting engine just walking bike. Should I apply some lube somewhere on the front wheel? Any thoughts??? :confused:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike on the centerstand, weight the seat so that the front tire is elevated, crouch down and spin the wheel in an effort to better pin-point the squeak. This should allow you to at best isolate the noise and at worst better describe the noise.

FWIW, there should be no real noise other than the pads on the rotors.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike on the centerstand, weight the seat so that the front tire is elevated, crouch down and spin the wheel in an effort to better pin-point the squeak. This should allow you to at best isolate the noise and at worst better describe the noise.

FWIW, there should be no real noise other than the pads on the rotors.

+1. If my bike sits for a week or so rust will form on the rotors causing a noice until it is scrubbed off. I've never had a squeek under normal use though.

W

wrightme43

If you want you could also remove the front brake calipers to verify for sure that it is the bearings in the wheel.

(IE if it squeaks with the calipers off you may need to replace the bearings.)

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have to remove your wheel, you will need a 19mm hex head socket or a 1/2" dia. bolt with 2 nuts pressure locked on the treads. I got a set of the sockets at harbor freight on Summer for $40.00. I got the 1/2 bolt to work also and it is a lot cheaper, but it was a good excuse to get some new tools.