Sprockets!

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
Sprockets! ASV Levers too! (Pics added)

Finally got my sprockets in today. I had forgotten that UPS doesn't deliver to businesses on black friday, and as such they were delayed till today. Meanwhile I spent a wee-bit of time preping the bike for the sprocket swap on Thanksgiving and was super-depressed when I realized I knocked an entire weekend of riding out the window.

Anyway, the Vortex pieces look great, and feel super solid...Lighter and more strong feeling than both stockers

I realize it would have been prudent to get some good shots of the bike without a rear wheel, and of the install process.....but I got too enthusiastic and couldn't hold off.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when there's sun-allowed-visibility, and serious initital impressions. (tonights short "check to make sure it's all good" ride doesn't count ---- but so far I LIKE)

out the door I was at -1 front, +2 rear

I rushed it alittle with removing the wheel and missed out on a 72 degree day!

Got my ASV's in last night! Great high quality SUPER adjustable levers, with an amazing 5 year, bend/break replacement warranty (even crashed bikes).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you got them at least! I'd have waited until they were in though. :D

Tooth counts? I don't remember is you changed the ratio...

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got my sprockets in today. I had forgotten that UPS doesn't deliver to businesses on black friday, and as such they were delayed till today. Meanwhile I spent a wee-bit of time preping the bike for the sprocket swap on Thanksgiving and was super-depressed when I realized I knocked an entire weekend of riding out the window.

Anyway, the Vortex pieces look great, and feel super solid...Lighter and more strong feeling than both stockers

I realize it would have been prudent to get some good shots of the bike without a rear wheel, and of the install process.....but I got too enthusiastic and couldn't hold off.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when there's sun-allowed-visibility, and serious initital impressions. (tonights short \"check to make sure it's all good\" ride doesn't count ---- but so far I LIKE)

out the door I was at -1 front, +2 rear

I rushed it alittle with removing the wheel and missed out on a 72 degree day!

72 on friday? really your only a few hours from me if you are in ny..... it was only in the 30's here that day...... actually i have been home since nov. 12th and haven't had a day warmer than 45 here since the 14th....

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
must be a typo. been cold as **** fer weeks. maybe he meant to type 42. 52 at most cause i would remember if we had a day that warm. I work outside here in Pittsburgh, PA. I cant imagine it being that warm in N.Y.

Last edited:

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
must be a typo. been cold as **** fer weeks. maybe he meant to type 42. 52 at most cause i would remember if we had a day that warm. I work outside here in Pittsburgh, PA. I cant imagine it being that warm in N.Y.

No, it was actually 72 degrees temperature. Windchill brought it to 66, but still gorgeous. It lasted ONLY this Monday. sadly

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
How hard was the install?

Install's pretty straightforward if you have access to a torque wrench, 30mm and 32mm sprockets as well as allen wrenches.

Loosen the chain adjusters fully, Put on centerstand slide rear wheel forward. tighten axle again, and put bike on side stand
Loosen the sprocket locknuts, while the bike is on the ground.

Bike back on center stand.

Remove the rear wheel. This is done by removing the axle nut, and sliding the axle out. drop the wheel alittle, move the caliper off the disc and the chain off the sprocket.

Slide the wheel out from between the swingarm.

finish removing sprocket lock nuts. Remove sprocket. Place new sprocket on, and hand tighten lock nuts.

Replace wheel as you had removed it, do not tighten the chain yet.

Open the sprocket cover, and remove the nut. Slide sprocket off, replace sprocket. Torque nut to 90Newton Meters. Replace sprocket cover
Tighten axle but not fully

Put bike back on sidestand, Torque sprocket lock nuts to 100Newton Meters. I chalk number them, since this should be done in star pattern.
(Top, bottom, left upper, right lower, right upper, left lower). I roll the bike to accomplish this order.

Adjust chain tension and torque axle but to 120 Newton Meters.

Pretty simple install overall

*Note, do not press the brake lever while you have the rotor removed. The caliper will lock up.*

Last edited:

Simoncm

Reaction score
Visit site
can you tell me why you changed them? to me it seems that the gearing is a bit low - 1000 rpm in 6th gives 20kmph. I think i would rather get to 25kmph. you can always drop a gear

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
I wanted to move more torque band to lower speeds. Keeps the power more readily available, and the bike pulls harder through the lower gears all the way to redline now. definitely an awesome bang for buck mod!