Sprocket change

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m thinking of changing from stock to -1/+2 or something there about. I commute 20 miles per day, love twisties anytime , but do a couple of road trips (1000-1500mi) per yr. Anyone with this set up? I’m really only wondering about the vibration at 80-90 mph on the highways. Anyone have any other set ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a general rule of thumb, one tooth off the counter shaft sprocket is about the same as adding 3 to the drive sprocket. -1/+2 is an aggressive change that will increase your highway rpm, increase acceleration and reduce mpg - all in a major way.

The stock final drive is 16/46. At 60 mph the engine turns about 4,950 (without speedo error). Going to 15/48 results in 5,500 rpm @ 60 mph - a 10% increase.

Last edited:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with Gary above. -1/+2 will result in a major change, but it depends on what you want to accomplish. For twisties, might be just the ticket, but keep the stock set or grab a +1 countershaft sprocket for your road trips to keep the RPMs down and improve the mileage if that's your goal. Not that tough to change.

I did just the -1 countershaft which works really well for me, a good combination of acceleration and fast cruising without screaming the engine all the time.

Experiment to see what works best for you. Two setups is not a bad thing and not expensive

Good luck

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with Gary above. -1/+2 will result in a major change, but it depends on what you want to accomplish. For twisties, might be just the ticket, but keep the stock set or grab a +1 countershaft sprocket for your road trips to keep the RPMs down and improve the mileage if that's your goal. Not that tough to change.

I did just the -1 countershaft which works really well for me, a good combination of acceleration and fast cruising without screaming the engine all the time.

Experiment to see what works best for you. Two setups is not a bad thing and not expensive

Good luck

I just want a little more pep in the lower gears, top speed isn’t an issue, I just don’t want to be cruising on a road trip at 80 and have the bike buzzing my hands and feet to sleep! Thanks for the input, maybe I’ll just go down 1 on counter sprocket and try that.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking more about the 15/48 gearing. Looking at my home-made gear ratio chart, 15/48 isn't much different than simply keeping the bike in one gear lower. For example, with stock gearing if you were in 4th gear entering a corner at 50 mph, you'd be pulling about 5,080 rpm. With 15/48 you'd show 5,650 rpm. But with stock gearing in third gear you'd be at 5,925 rpm.

In higher gears, this gap is even closer. For example, with stock gearing if you were in 6th gear entering a corner at 50 mph, you'd be pulling about 4,125 rpm. With 15/48 you'd show 4,595 rpm. But with stock gearing in fifth gear you'd be at 4,540 rpm. Stock gearing in 5th gear is virtually the same as 15/48 in 6th gear.

Like you said, try dropping the c/s sprocket just one. It will have a noticeable effect on acceleration.

Pattybigdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck

Did this lower your overall mileage by any real significant amount?

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I decided to go -1/+1 and so far am enjoying it. Definitely more ready power in lower gears, as far as gas mileage haven’t finished the first tank yet but at this point I like the ready power more than the gas mileage. On another note, Speedo is way off (gps says 72 Speedo says 83) so I bought a Speedo healer does anyone know where the speed sensor is on a 2005?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. On another note, Speedo is way off (gps says 72 Speedo says 83) so I bought a Speedo healer does anyone know where the speed sensor is on a 2005?

Should be under the tank and be plug and play. Directions should be included with the Speedohealer.

It'll take longer to program than to install...

It comes with plenty of wire. I mounted mine under the seat for easy access and setting. The second line is to be able to display (and erase when you want) your highest speed- it's for a remote push button):

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Should be under the tank and be plug and play. Directions should be included with the Speedohealer.

It comes with plenty of wire. I mounted mine under the seat for easy access and setting. The second line is to be able to display (and erase when you want) your highest speed- it's for a remote push button):

Thanks. I got a different brand than Speedo healer but thanks for the info on the location of the hook up, much appreciated.

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site

Where about under tank? I can’t even find anything on it in a service manual, I don’t even know what it looks like, maybe a better approximate location if you can, thanks.

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Where about under tank? I can’t even find anything on it in a service manual, I don’t even know what it looks like, maybe a better approximate location if you can, thanks.

Never mind I found it hiding in a rubber boot! [emoji23]

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Speedo DRD speed calibrator is on and after doing the adjustments Speedo is off by only 1-2 mph on the first run. Someone asked about gas mileage, mine actually went from 43-44 up to 47 with the sprocket change after one tank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Speedo DRD speed calibrator is on and after doing the adjustments Speedo is off by only 1-2 mph on the first run. Someone asked about gas mileage, mine actually went from 43-44 up to 47 with the sprocket change after one tank.

Are you checking the mileage with the GPS?? (GPS & Gallons)

The odometer is NOW going to read LOW...

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you checking the mileage with the GPS?? (GPS & Gallons)

The odometer is NOW going to read LOW...

Not really sure what you’re saying. I am checking my mileage based on the odometer. That said I think the first one was a fluke or miscalculation but it looks like it settled back down to 43/gal. That’s with a lot of spirited riding. Overall really like the change.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really sure what you’re saying. I am checking my mileage based on the odometer. That said I think the first one was a fluke or miscalculation but it looks like it settled back down to 43/gal. That’s with a lot of spirited riding. Overall really like the change.

With the speedometer "change", the odometer reads LOWER than what your actually traveling. Checking the MPG is NOT going to be accurate.

For an accurate reading, you have to use the GPS (actual miles covered) with how much fuel it takes to top off for an ACCURATE MPG..

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
With the speedometer "change", the odometer reads LOWER than what your actually traveling. Checking the MPG is NOT going to be accurate.

For an accurate reading, you have to use the GPS (actual miles covered) with how much fuel it takes to top off for an ACCURATE MPG..

Got it! Thanks for clarifying.