Speedometer Issues

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I took an extended break for about 4 months, but I finally got my bike back and ready to ride. At first, everything was good to go, but just recently the speedometer started having issues. When I turn the key the fuel pump kicks on, but the instrument cluster doesn't start up. However, the clock and the turning signal indicators function just fine. Everything else on the display seems to kick on about a minute or so into the ride. If nothing on the cluster worked, I would figure the connection was bad. But I thought it was odd that the clock and turning indicators still function with no issues. Any thoughts?

Bike is a 2006 FZ6

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I remember you! Welcome back! :D

It could be a capacitor on the cluster readout circuit board is not in good shape but it may clear up with use. That circuit you're talking about runs off the ignition signal or key on voltage. There are six LED lights in the cluster. When you turn the key on you should see a neutral indicator light if the bike is in neutral, an oil light, an engine trouble light and a high beam indicator light once the engine is running and you hit the high beam switch. I'm thinking since you have the turn signal indicator lights working all these other lights also work.

The problem probably has to do with the ignition/keyed voltage or the cluster electronics itself. Since the clock part of the cluster runs off constant battery voltage supplied I would think it would be voltage is not getting to the cluster from the ECU. When the key is turned on the ECU does it's checks and supplies voltage to the instrument cluster.

I would start to look for a loose pin and check the plug assembly to the cluster as well as the ECU plug....:D

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, thanks. When I get some time this weekend I will have to look into it further. Will let you know what I find out.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I know I posted this a long time ago but I finally got around to looking into it. Ended up being a bad connector in the wiring harness. Somehow a single contact ended up getting bent out of place at one of the quick disconnects. Once I bent it back into place with a screwdriver all was well again!