Speedometer Error

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
Referring to the post on the front page mentioning VW's... I have both the FZ6 and a 2007 Rabbit. Between the both of them speed calculations are a nebulous thing. GPS shows indicated is always slower than reality when at highway speeds. It's annoying, but I've learned to live with it, lol.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I find this a really annoying issue with the FZ6.

Really? I don't spend that much time looking at my speedo during a ride to care that much about it. 90% of the time I'm riding with the 'flow of the traffic'....or stuck sitting in it, so it dosen't really matter what my speedo says.

If you were to have an accident, and a cop asks "how fast were you going", could you say "I have no idea because the spedometer in my vehicle isn't accurate"??? Its like selling a car the goes left when you turn the wheel right...:eek:

If you were in an accident (which I hope you never are), I highly doubt you would have glanced at your speedo a split second before the accident.... If the accident is that bad, the cops have people to figure that out for you. Besides, I don't think the cops give a hoop what you say you were going as I'm sure 99.9% of people asked that very question say whatever the speed limit is! Human nature.

Makes one wonder just WTF went on with the design team at Yamaha?? Maybe the same guys who designed the crappy a$$ seat also designed the speedo!?! :eek: You'd think that there would have had to have been some serious testing and certification process for something like a speedometer??

So comparing a GPS to the actual speedo (in our bikes and in cars), would you 'believe' the GPS speed reading over the actual speedo guage? Havent tried the GPS on the bike yet, but the GPS seems pretty close to the speedo reading in the car. Just wondering is a GPS can be that accurate since it's signal has to bounce back and forth from space.

Last edited:

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 3 different motorcycles and a scooter in the past 2 years, and they have all been about 10% optimistic on the speedometer, but fairly close on the odometer.

I don't think it is anything unique to the FZ6, because every time I get a new bike, I go to the forum specific for that bike, and people are complaining about the optimistic speedometer.

I personally just go with the flow of traffic or use a gps. Not that big of a deal to me.

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been out a few times and thought the speedo on mine was off. The GPS puts out a speed 10% off the indicated. I've been by a few speed traps that tell you your speed in rural areas and they have matched the speedo readings. Not sure what to make of it but I'm gonna stick with the speedo readings!