Speedometer accuracy

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
So I purchased my 2009 FZ6 brand new from the dealership a couple of months ago and have been surfing the forums for advice and ideas. One thing I have noticed in several forums is people talking about their speedometer not being accurate. Is this an issue I should investigate further with my bike, even though it is brand new? If so, what are some methods that I can use to check and, if necessary, correct the problem?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been talked about endlessly over the years, but it's a common thing for any motorcycle (some people even claim manufacturers are encourage or made to make the speedometer a certain % off). On the FZ6, or any Yamaha for that matter, the speedometer is typically anywhere from 6-10% off.

For instance, I've figured out using my GPS that when I'm traveling 64 mph ACTUAL, my speedometer is showing 60 mph on the bike. The faster I go, the more off it is. To maintain 75 mph ACTUAL, the speedometer needs to be showing 82-83 INDICATED.

It's not a big deal and really, there's no need to "fix" it. :thumbup:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
If it really bugs you can always get a speedohealer (I have the speedohealer V4). It will correct for the inaccurate factory ODO and Speedo reading since it is off by about 6%. Although I would not bother with it unless you do a sprocket change then the readings start to get really off.. Now my speedo and ODO match my GPS perfectly until about 85+ when it starts to get a little off by about -2 mph so gps will read 90 and my speedo will read 88

Bri

Reaction score
Visit site
For instance, I've figured out using my GPS that when I'm traveling 64 mph ACTUAL, my speedometer is showing 60 mph on the bike.

I think you got that backwards, right?

My FZ6 speedo indicated 7% high off the showroom floor. The odometer was 2% high. If you change the front sprocket from 16 tooth to 17 tooth the speedometer will indicate less than 1% high around 60mph. Of course then the odometer will indicate about 6% low.

This was the fix that I went with, I like my speedometer to be accurate without having to do the math every time I glance at it. All I have to do now is remember to multiply the miles by 1.06 when I calculate fuel economy.

I really don't know why they purposely inflate the speed or how they can get away with it. Maybe its like false advertising--it makes most people think the bikes are faster than they really are???

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't know why they purposely inflate the speed or how they can get away with it. Maybe its like false advertising--it makes most people think the bikes are faster than they really are???

In the UK I think the speedo accuracy has to be -0% -> +10%.
I.e. it always has to read at least what your real speed is, or higher. That way if you get clocked speeding you have no excuses as it never reads under what you are actually doing.