sounds boggy

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to their bike. This is the 3rd time it's happened to me. I go to start my bike after it has been sitting in the hot sun all day in the parking lot and it won't start. I try it several times with no luck until I give it a little bit of gas and it fires right up. But even though it has started, it just doesn't sound right so I gas it a little bit and it sounds like it's bogging down. Every time I rev it up, it bogs. When I take off it bogs until it gets a few RPMs then, after bogging a little, it revs real fast and lurches forward. It's drivable but I have to baby it. It keeps doing this until I hit the freeway, and at freeway speeds it runs fine, and by the time I get home, it's fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you lifted the tank for any reasons lately? Almost sounds like one of the lines under the tank is pinched.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I haven't taken the tank off. I've had the bike for about 4 months and this has only happened 3 times. I don't think it's a fuel problem because it runs fine at higher RPMs which would use more fuel. The mechanic said it might be that the sensors are getting mixed up and they should fix themselves shortly, which, if it is the sensors, it does. Doesn't seem to be a BIG problem, but little problems turn into bigger problems. I'm taking it in for the 4000 mile check up next week so I'll tell them about it again.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have had a few firends with triumphs that would have this problem, next time you are having trouble starting simply try this for me.

Take the key out and open the gas cap, then close it and try again. sounds like the hose that lets the gas tank (Breath) is clogged or pinched and the air is causing a vacuum inside the tank which makes it harder for the bike to pull fuel from the tank, it would run fine as the bike was pulling gas harder (higher RPM's), and would bog and stall when idling or lower RPM's.

Just a thought, but it is a simple test to find out.

kvanderploeg

Reaction score
Visit site
i have had a few firends with triumphs that would have this problem, next time you are having trouble starting simply try this for me.

Take the key out and open the gas cap, then close it and try again. sounds like the hose that lets the gas tank (Breath) is clogged or pinched and the air is causing a vacuum inside the tank which makes it harder for the bike to pull fuel from the tank, it would run fine as the bike was pulling gas harder (higher RPM's), and would bog and stall when idling or lower RPM's.

Just a thought, but it is a simple test to find out.

I think Reiobard is onto the problem here. I know the V-Star's (my other bike) have problems with the gas cap not venting properly when they've been run for a while, shut off, then restarted again a short time later when still warm.

When this happens on the V-Stars, opening the throttle on startup usually lets the bike start, but this isn't a good practice as it puts extra load on the starter.

Kent

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Next time this happens, I will try opening the gas cap. And if that is the problem, there goes my theory about it not being a fuel problem. Sorry about doubting you, FZ6inNH. Thanks everyone.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm taking it in for the 4000 mile check next week so i'll tell them about it then. I did tell one of the sales guys about it and we also talked about a power commander and he was almost certain that if I got the PC that it would fix this little problem forever. So maybe one of these days, I might have to get serious about getting one of these little items. And again, thanks everyone for your input.
I love these forums.

corekneelius

Reaction score
Visit site
mine only does this at startup...i thought it was just the way it is...but then i remembered it didnt do it the first 1000 miles or so...

as for me i have lifted the tank and plan to check to the lines RIGHT NOW!!! will post anything i find soon...WHY DID I HAVE TO FILL UP TODAY?:(

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got the bike back from the dealer today and they had 2 service reps and 2 mechanics discussing the problem, with all 4 of them test riding it and none of them could figure out what was wrong because it didn't do the boggy thing for them. They checked everything they could possibly think of and everything checked out OK. Like I said, it's a minor problem that eventually fixes itself after a few miles. They just told me that if it starts happening more frequently, then I could bring it in again. Hopefully it won't happen more frequently, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Other than this, the bike runs great.