Someone told me I have to burn my tires for traction

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
So,

A friend of mine owns a GXR1000 and said that I need to do burn outs to give my new tire traction. I call bs on this. I am not going to do burn outs on my new tires.

Have any of you done this to "break in" your new tires?

I can see it at a race track, but just for getting around, not me.

Your friend is wrong.
The act of riding exposes new rubber, as it ages, it rubs off against the road constantly exposing a new traction surface.

Only break-in needed is to take it easy for the first 100 miles /160 Km or so.
This will remove the oil and other stuff leftover from the production of it.

It had 3 miles on it when I got it. It now has 111. The only time that I ever lost traction was taking a turn and my back tire went over one of those tar patches, it made the rear end slide a little.

Doing a quick burn out would just speed the "break in" process up....alot hehe.

i just take it easy for 100miles as everyone says

You can sand away the mold release on new tires before riding. That's OK.

And if you're drag racing, a burnout does get the tire hot and sticky, letting you get a better launch.

Other than that, burnouts just wear out tires faster.

Fred

Your friend is RIGHT! Now, watch how much you should burn out in this video (but don't crash) to properly condition your rear tire. BTW, ask your friend what one should do about the FRONT tire. What about the front tire?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwqDrTYZNuw"]YouTube - motorcycle burnout then wreck[/ame]

Or this one:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjWCcJ-sY4E[/ame]

NSFW language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently one of our forum members (Wavex) did some great work bringing us some great data that corrects a lot of myth about warming tires as well as break in.
Very worth the reading.

I use lighter fluid for a quick break-in and warm up....Douse, light and go!

Cliff

People do track days on brand new tires everyday. That 100 mile rule is outdated; it's my understanding that they don't use mold release on the tread anymore (and have read quotes from tire company excecutives saying there is no reason to take it easy so long as you get the tire up to temp). Once a modern tire is warm, it's good to go.

Now....some tires still come with the ride easy for the first 50 to 100 stickers on them....but that's probably just generally good advice and a big c/y/a re: getting used to the new profile and other characteristics.

I don't scrub my tires in for the first 100 or take sandpaper to them, FWIW.

Ask you friend how does he "give traction" to the edges of his tire.. please bring the camcorder if he tries to do a burnout while leaning the bike on its side..

People do track days on brand new tires everyday. That 100 mile rule is outdated; it's my understanding that they don't use mold release on the tread anymore (and have read quotes from tire company excecutives saying there is no reason to take it easy so long as you get the tire up to temp). Once a modern tire is warm, it's good to go.

Now....some tires still come with the ride easy for the first 50 to 100 stickers on them....but that's probably just generally good advice and a big c/y/a re: getting used to the new profile and other characteristics.

I don't scrub my tires in for the first 100 or take sandpaper to them, FWIW.

+1... the only thing to be worried about is 1) warm them up like you would any tire and 2) the soap/grease that may be on them from the transport/handling/mounting of the tire.... other than that new tires are ready to go as soon as they're warm... more interesting stuff on tires here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/20067-tire-talk-mainly-trackdays.html

Ask your friend how he does a "burn out" with the front tire so the traction will match the rear one?

All a burn out will do is get you back to your tire dealer that much sooner. :thumbup:

Just ride 'em.

Ask your friend how he does a "burn out" with the front tire so the traction will match the rear one?

All a burn out will do is get you back to your tire dealer that much sooner. :thumbup:

Just ride 'em.

Hey Pete!

He mounts the front rubber on the rear rim!

Cliff

It was a female. I don't know here that well, just at work. She was telling me how easy it was to do a wheelie on her bike. I said yeah, I don't want to do wheelies, then she went on about how important burnouts were. I didn't know what to say? I didn't want to affend her.

It was a female. I don't know here that well, just at work. She was telling me how easy it was to do a wheelie on her bike. I said yeah, I don't want to do wheelies, then she went on about how important burnouts were. I didn't know what to say? I didn't want to affend her.

Sounds like she was trying to impress you or something.

Back