So... It's hot

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose the cool(ish) weather couldn't hold off forever, now we're hitting the hundreds and I thought I would share some wisdom I've gained while riding:

1) Got a black helmet/jacket? Get something new in a lighter color. This makes a world of difference.

2) If you wear jeans, wear a pair that covers your ankles and Achilles tendon. The heat coming off the engine is intense and kinda burns...

3) If you wear shorts, put on some jeans and see number 2.

4) Don't draft. You'll be cutting off the main source of airflow. It'll still feel like riding in a furnace, but at least there will be a breeze...

5) This should go without saying, drink loads of water. It will help you keep cool.

6) Stuck in traffic? Take advantage of shade in any form (trees, semi trailers, etc.)

7) Need to look presentable upon arrival? Take something with air conditioning...

Now, for something I'm not so sure about. My fan stays on a little longer than I would like when stuck in traffic. The thought occurred that if I lifted the engine just off idle, it would help things cool down by pumping more water through the radiator. On the other hand, it would keep the water from staying in the core longer and reduce the amount of cooling. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with this?

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldnt really worry about it getting hot. thats just something you gotta deal with.

The fan doesnt cool the engine, it cools the coolant i belive.

Or you can move to cali and lane split your way to the green light.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I feel your pain! It's not into the triple digits here in Kentucky yet, but the humidity is in full effect. For example, we've been around 90-92 degrees for the last week or two, but the heat index (when they factor in the humidity, and this is what it FEELS like) is around 96-100.

You're absolutely right on the water. I've taken to using a Camelbak whenever it gets this hot, and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. Being able to get a cool shot of water when you hit a straightaway is a HUGE plus. And you'd be surprised how long one of those things will keep ice solid when it's this hot. Besides, if I'm on a long ride and stop for gas or a break, I'll just grab a cup of ice from the soda machine and pour it in...and I'm good to go for another 2-3 hours.

Another tip...if you wear full leathers like I do all the time, perforated EVERYTHING is the way to go. I've got perforated JR Blaster 2.0 pants, a perforated Teknic Chicane jacket, and I'm looking to pick up a pair of Sidi Vertigo Air boots soon. As it is, my SMX-4's do a great job of keeping my feet cool with their very-good venting.

Also, instead of wearing a cotton t-shirt and cotton boxer briefs (I know, too much info, but I'm trying to be helpful), wear "dri-fit" type shirts that you can pick up cheap from places like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. And as far as under the pants goes, I wear Nike Pro compression shorts that do a great job of keeping the sweat under control. A huge plus? Both of these things make taking leather off MUCH easier!

As far as my helmet, I've got a Shoei X-11, so the venting is superb. It certainly was worth the $380 I paid for it this past winter!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Indeed! 101 today. Ugh...

Excellent suggestions. :thumbup:

I just let the bike run so the water keeps pumping through the motor. Once I get moving again the temp drops pretty quick.

I have a First Gear mesh jacket that is silver, make a very big difference over my black and gray textile jacket during summers. I need to buy the pants that match the jacket, they're black but are mesh and offer better protection over jeans and look to be cooler than the textile pants.

I'll also wear my Camelback on longer trips too. It's nice to sip ice water in the blazing heat.

I agree with CC on the perf, makes a big difference, I need some!

With my new bike I have to wear boots as the exhaust throws a ton of heat. Also my fuel is in the frame and my thighs are baked with only jeans. It can get so hot that the fuel is a roiling boil within the frame. :eek: Insulation kit on the way for that problem.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both Tourmaster and Firstgear are FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY making Tall size jackets in something other than black!!! :thumbup: I'm about ready to spring for the Firstgear Meshtech, in "put-yer-damm-cellphone-down-&-see-me" Obnoxious Yellow! :cheer:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The thought occurred that if I lifted the engine just off idle, it would help things cool down by pumping more water through the radiator. On the other hand, it would keep the water from staying in the core longer and reduce the amount of cooling. Has anyone had positive or negative experience with this?
While you are pumping water faster at a speed above idle, you're also burning more gas, which creates more heat; plus, while the water spends less time in the radiator losing heat, it also spends less time in the engine, picking up heat. The fan, being electric, stays at a steady speed.

I'd let her idle at the idle speed. ;)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been so hot I've been riding with my visor up just so I can breathe.
Of course I've been wearing my 5.11 sunglasses, which took a direct hit with a rock at 80mph, and had absolutely no scratch or damage whatsoever.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got something to add about riding in short's.......I caught a bumble bee with the left leg at 60mph!!!! NOT VERY FUN!!!! I have never rode in short's again needless to say!!:D :rockon:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff. +1 on the camelbak. I have a regular 100 mile slab ride that I have to do. Even though we're doing 80 it's like riding with a hair dryer blowing in your face. If I don't hydrate, by the time I reach my destination I'm just wiped out.

And don't forget the sunscreen folks -- your neck and nose mostly, but anything exposed. Just keep it off of your forehead...

My gear is all black so I play solar collector. But then again, I want to lose a few pounds.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna give the Camel Pack a try tomorrow on my bi-weekly, 75 mile commute. Got a bladder at Wally World that has a gel-pack built in to keep it nice and cold. Can't wait to see how it works out.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ummmm... shouldn't the riding boots cover your ankles? :squid: ;)

Wear lighter colored mesh gear all the time in the heat. The mesh keeps the sunlight off your skin and the wind blows right through it all. You're actually cooler IN mesh than in shorts and a tank. (And smarter too! :D )