Smoke tail lights?

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for smoke tail lights for the FZ, what have you bought and what do you like or dislike about em? Thanks FZ family!

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
$25-$30 for the LED smoked taillight from ebay. just has a new cover (smoked), plate of LEDs that mounts in the housing and is supposed to also intergate the turn signals, which i didnt bother with. Looks great not a perfect fit but for the price ???? im not dropping 80 to 30 :/ when i get home to my computer ill post a link.

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Found these: RoBear Racing. Motodynamic 03-09 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Lights

My friend, who has a kawi Z1000 installed some like this and I was really impressed with the brightness of the LED and the turn signals are fantastic. What I like about the light in the link are when you brake they first flash 3 times, really grabs your attention. I'll be ordering these and installing with in the next couple weeks.

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed that Motodynamic smoke tail light mentioned above. Looks great, works perfectly, and the sequential turn signals look very cool and grab your eye. Getting it into the tail assembly was a b*tch though. It fits great, just getting it squeezed it takes some time and strong fingers/hands.
Get it from the manufacturer here, and see a good video: http://motodynamic.com/product_info...ucts_id=208&osCsid=e9qvovhcrp9o6bkpdm4e8s5u53

Last edited:

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Any tips on install or just be prepared for a pain in the arse install? Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.:thumbup:

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also just installed the same tail light and it was, at that time, the most complicated thing I've done on my bike.

Don't let that scare you, I've barely done anything and I'm not very good at it. It was extremely easy to do if you just follow the instructions and take your time learning where everything goes, how it comes apart, etc. I didn't use a microfiche or parts manual to determine how the tail is assembled, so I learned as I went taking things apart piece by piece. It took me about 4-5 hours to do but I was very slow at it and very patient.

Again, it is extremely easy, but it will take time if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very mechanically challenged, so that's a testament to how great the FZ6 is to work on - simple and straightforward in most cases. But really it's the only bike I've ever worked on myself so I don't know any better, either.

Be prepared to remove a majority of the plastic bits around the exhaust, including the passenger handles. You'll have to do some rewiring as well because it has integrated turn signals, it's not just replacing the brake light. And as mentioned above, if you don't have strong hands, get someone to help you. It is a tight fit and you'll need to give a good amount of pressure. But if you just take it easy, slow, and follow the instructions and read the parts manual/look at the microfiche, you'll do fine. If you hit a snag, just post here and there will be loads of people jumping to help you. Good luck! It looks excellent in the end.

Also, if you get a new flasher relay (for about $6), then you can cut out the resistors built into the new tail light saving you a small amount of space with the wiring and also reducing the draw and heat generation. It's not a big deal, the draw is pretty much nothing anyway, so if any kind of soldering scares you, don't worry about the resistors. Just plug and play pretty much.

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't lose the rubber gaskets! And having a second set of hands is very helpful. One person holds the tail section and pulls it apart a bit (it flexes to a degree), and the other can squeeze the light in. You have to angle it sideways and push hard.

george0029

Reaction score
Visit site
I also just installed the same tail light and it was, at that time, the most complicated thing I've done on my bike.

Don't let that scare you, I've barely done anything and I'm not very good at it. It was extremely easy to do if you just follow the instructions and take your time learning where everything goes, how it comes apart, etc. I didn't use a microfiche or parts manual to determine how the tail is assembled, so I learned as I went taking things apart piece by piece. It took me about 4-5 hours to do but I was very slow at it and very patient.

Again, it is extremely easy, but it will take time if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very mechanically challenged, so that's a testament to how great the FZ6 is to work on - simple and straightforward in most cases. But really it's the only bike I've ever worked on myself so I don't know any better, either.

Be prepared to remove a majority of the plastic bits around the exhaust, including the passenger handles. You'll have to do some rewiring as well because it has integrated turn signals, it's not just replacing the brake light. And as mentioned above, if you don't have strong hands, get someone to help you. It is a tight fit and you'll need to give a good amount of pressure. But if you just take it easy, slow, and follow the instructions and read the parts manual/look at the microfiche, you'll do fine. If you hit a snag, just post here and there will be loads of people jumping to help you. Good luck! It looks excellent in the end.

Also, if you get a new flasher relay (for about $6), then you can cut out the resistors built into the new tail light saving you a small amount of space with the wiring and also reducing the draw and heat generation. It's not a big deal, the draw is pretty much nothing anyway, so if any kind of soldering scares you, don't worry about the resistors. Just plug and play pretty much.

x2^

You essentially have to rip apart the whole tail of the bike short of the exhaust. When I installed mine, I took advantage of the integrated turn signals and removed my entire fender. I mounted my plate to the axle with a $20 mount from eBay. Looks super clean and overall I'm pretty satisfied. My only complaint is that the tail light isn't the most snug fitting piece and it does move around slightly, so I might go in again and try to stabilize it.

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
x2^

You essentially have to rip apart the whole tail of the bike short of the exhaust. When I installed mine, I took advantage of the integrated turn signals and removed my entire fender. I mounted my plate to the axle with a $20 mount from eBay. Looks super clean and overall I'm pretty satisfied. My only complaint is that the tail light isn't the most snug fitting piece and it does move around slightly, so I might go in again and try to stabilize it.

Ive been thinking about the license plate holder, do you have a pic of your FZ with that installed, I'd love to see how it looks. I want to get rid of everything under the exhaust, just looks so much cleaner.

george0029

Reaction score
Visit site

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
After a minor ordering error my tail light arrived, too bad im not home to install it. I'll get it done Wednesday afternoon. :thumbup:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed that Motodynamic smoke tail light mentioned above. Looks great, works perfectly, and the sequential turn signals look very cool and grab your eye. Getting it into the tail assembly was a b*tch though. It fits great, just getting it squeezed it takes some time and strong fingers/hands.
Get it from the manufacturer here, and see a good video: 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light

Just bought this same one. Installation was a breeze, wiring hooked right in! Looks great, everyone loves the 3 blink attention getter. Not sure I'll pass state inspection with the integrated signals, will find out later in September. Not a big deal to swap the stock signals back on just for the inspection.