Smith and Wesson M&P 9c

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put $20 towards a new Smith and Wesson M&P 9c today. It's the same version as pictured, without thumb safety which I hear has a better trigger action. I'm getting it tomorrow. I'm waiting because my girlfriend's step dad, who got me really into shooting is coming up tomorrow and he really wanted to go with me for my first pistol purchase, so when we go tomorrow I will finalize the transaction with him there. He sorta see's me as a son so he will appreciate it.

109004_large.jpg

I was unsure about what I wanted to get other than I knew I wanted something definitely on the smaller end to start out with since I am waiting on my CCW license to be processed. I held several firearms at the store, Walther PPS, Glock 26, 19, and I believe another one, XD-9 sub compact, Kahr P9, PM9, CW9, the new Taurus 709 Slim, S&W Sigma series, and some revolvers.

I've shot my room mate's PPS in 9mm and it's nice, but it felt a little too sharp around the edges for me. I've also got experience with the full size XD's, XD^m's, and some full size Glocks. When it is time for me to get a full size frame firearm, I am definately going to consider the XD^m series. I really liked the 9mm that I shot and I loved the regular XD 45 I've shot. I've also had some experience with my Dad's nickel plated S&W Chief's Special. I liked that pistol but didn't really fall in love with it. It would be definitely a good BUG, but not something I am too interested in at this time.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with the M&P series? I've not really found anything bad about them other than some of the first generation compacts had some trouble with the magazine falling out, but this has been fixed or so they say. I was pretty impressed with the size of the whole package, it really doesn't seem that much bigger than the Walter PPS my room mate has. I know it isn't quite as slim, but it really doesn't seem that far off. But, that is the trade off for the double stack 12+1 configuration, which seems like a good capacity to me. It also has 3 different backs for the grip to accommodate different size hands. I thought that was neat.

All in all I am happy so far. I got a deal that is close enough to what I've found prices online, only higher by about $50, which, I think is an OK price to pay for handling THE firearm I will be taking home instead of not knowing what will get shipped out from somewhere and having it tomorrow. It comes with a really nice case, lock, literature, and two clips. One clip has the pinky extension which is what is shown in the picture, while the other doesn't and is flat. The extension allows me to use all fingers very comfortably on the grip, while without I can't use my pinky. I can buy the piece for the other clip for $4 tomorrow. Also, it's got a lifetime manufacturer's warranty including factory service. Did I get a good deal?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have experience with the M&P series, but with 9MM in general. I was in the Army when they switched from the .45 ACP to the 9mm. We shot those for about 2 weeks before going back to the .45 ACP. The 9mm was inconsistent with targets.

Fast forward to 2001 when one of my best friends, who was a Deputy Sheriff (Now a detective) was out on patrol. He gets a call that a perp is headed his way. He sees the car coming and pulls off to the side with the blues on. He's planning on a U-Turn once the perp passes so he can give chase. Instead, the perp swings to his breakdown lane and takes him head-on. He's dazed and is looking through the window of his car when the perp appears at his window with a gun pointed at him. Deputy draws his 9mm and tells the kid to drop his weapon. The kids starts towrd him so he double-taps the kid, center mass at about 10' and the kid stayed up coming again. Perp had on a leather jacket, bomber style. Deputy yells for him to drop the weapon and the kid brings it back up but takes two more to the chest. Again, still coming. Pulls the gun up again and Deputy hits him in the face this time. 9mm took off a portion of the kid's left jaw and cheek.

After this incident, the entire Sheriff's Dept. had H&K come take the 9mm handguns away and replace them with .45 ACP weapons.

4 shots, center mass, all within 10' or less and they couldn't penetrate the bomber jacket.

I'm not saying this is the wrong weapon for you, I'm just telling you that both my experience and the Deputy's experience are negative with regards to 9mm.

I'm considering the Magnum Research Baby Eagle in a .45 at this point. But I have to talk to my friend in TN because he's got something that I'm interested in as well but I cannot remember the model. Sweet weapon, light weight and high velocity. :D

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have experience with the M&P series, but with 9MM in general. I was in the Army when they switched from the .45 ACP to the 9mm. We shot those for about 2 weeks before going back to the .45 ACP. The 9mm was inconsistent with targets.

Fast forward to 2001 when one of my best friends, who was a Deputy Sheriff (Now a detective) was out on patrol. He gets a call that a perp is headed his way. He sees the car coming and pulls off to the side with the blues on. He's planning on a U-Turn once the perp passes so he can give chase. Instead, the perp swings to his breakdown lane and takes him head-on. He's dazed and is looking through the window of his car when the perp appears at his window with a gun pointed at him. Deputy draws his 9mm and tells the kid to drop his weapon. The kids starts towrd him so he double-taps the kid, center mass at about 10' and the kid stayed up coming again. Perp had on a leather jacket, bomber style. Deputy yells for him to drop the weapon and the kid brings it back up but takes two more to the chest. Again, still coming. Pulls the gun up again and Deputy hits him in the face this time. 9mm took off a portion of the kid's left jaw and cheek.

After this incident, the entire Sheriff's Dept. had H&K come take the 9mm handguns away and replace them with .45 ACP weapons.

4 shots, center mass, all within 10' or less and they couldn't penetrate the bomber jacket.

I'm not saying this is the wrong weapon for you, I'm just telling you that both my experience and the Deputy's experience are negative with regards to 9mm.

I'm considering the Magnum Research Baby Eagle in a .45 at this point. But I have to talk to my friend in TN because he's got something that I'm interested in as well but I cannot remember the model. Sweet weapon, light weight and high velocity. :D

Thanks for the story! As far as caliber goes, the way I see it right now, I'd rather have a 9mm than nothing you know. If I had the money, they have a really nice $1200 Kimber 1911 that I would love to have, but I just can't justify that kind of price right now. Plus the extra $600 savings will buy a lot of 9mm for me to have fun with. I figure this M&P should start me off well and last me a long time. And even if I don't keep it forever, S&W is a good name and I would rather try to sell a S&W than a Taurus.

They had a Micro Desert Eagle in .380 that my girlfriend really liked. They had a couple of the full size D'Eagles as well. I don't think they had any Baby D'Eagles. I did try to go to their website last night and the Baby D'Eagle page wouldn't load up...

miztigerszou52

Reaction score
Visit site
I think FNH makes the best 9MM pistols out there. Picked up my FNP-9 for $500 at Bass-Pro. Really happy with the investment. At least you bought American rather than supporting some brand like Glock...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think FNH makes the best 9MM pistols out there. Picked up my FNP-9 for $500 at Bass-Pro. Really happy with the investment. At least you bought American rather than supporting some brand like Glock...

I will have to see if they had any FNH pistols in the case. I wasn't really looking at full size frames yet.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From a LEO point of view, S&W, Glock, Sig,FN. you can't go wrong and please forgive me for the others I left out. BTW Glock originated in Austria , but is made in Smyrna,GA everyday. 9MM is a good round, shot placement and luck is the key,although the perp's will to survive along with other variables, ie drugs etc, factor in. I know of an incident where the suspect was shot 9 times with a .45 and survived. Practice and be safe, never display the weapon and point it at anything or anybody unless you or willing to fire. I wish we lived in a world where guns were not necessary,but unfortunately:rolleyes::(...... dare to dream

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
9mm are nice because of their low recoil and affordability, and 45's are nice because of their power and "kick ass" feel.

.40SW is a nice mix of both, which is why the majority of law enforcement agencies employ it.

If you're looking for a gun for concealed carry, either a 9mm or .40SW would fit the bill.

W

wrightme43

These Glaser Safety Slug in silver when cold out side, and blue when warm. If it contacts center mass the confrontation is over.

Nice gun man, if it fits your hand, shoots well for you, and you can conceal it well then its perfect for you.

P.S. they are stupid expensive but they work, very light recoil, high speed, total energy transfer, they dont over penetrate, are very safe in houses, and are just a outstanding stopping power round.

Last edited by a moderator:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These Glaser Safety Slug in silver when cold out side, and blue when warm. If it contacts center mass the confrontation is over.

Nice gun man, if it fits your hand, shoots well for you, and you can conceal it well then its perfect for you.

P.S. they are stupid expensive but they work, very light recoil, high speed, total energy transfer, they dont over penetrate, are very safe in houses, and are just a outstanding stopping power round.

I saw some of these there but didn't ask about them. I might ask about them today.