Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
HI guys new to the scene.... need help like S.O.S type... Has anyone ever took the challenge on splitting there fz6 case and ran into figuring out the oil pump removal, better yet step by step on splitting the case would help too... if you are wondering why I'm doing this my 2007 fz6 gear box is jacked up and I need to replace the gears...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread awhile here about a tear down awhile ago.

Cases do NOT have to be split for oil pump removal. And there are several threads on that. The oil pump is driven by a chain on the back of the clutch assembly.

Do you have a Yamaha shop manual. It's imperative to have that for torque spec's, specialty tools, procedures, order, etc...

May I ask the issue? The gear box is pretty stout and possible it's something else..

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to split the case to replace the gear box and the oil pump is impossible to remove and was asking if anyone has ever split their case if so was if difficult or the steps to take to split it..

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I see some gears on the clutch gear itself that ate severally damaged so yeah it needs replacing...

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a million crazy how you have to spilt the case to fix the gear box but see shall breath fire once again, or would it had been cheaper to replace whole power plant???? Hummm

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a million crazy how you have to spilt the case to fix the gear box but see shall breath fire once again, or would it had been cheaper to replace whole power plant???? Hummm

About the only motorcycle that I know of that has a separate engine / transmission is the Harley, G0ldwing, and I believe most BMW's.

Almost all Japenese made bikes, the engine / transmission is in ONE case.

I've been splitting cases since I was 16, 1973 or so. Yamaha 125's, Kawi's, one Susuki, etc. Last was my KLR 250, the LS crank bearing would let loose every 32,000 miles. It started going again at 64,000 miles and had to split cases again and replace the bearing. Sold that with 73,000 miles and bought a KLR 650 I hated, then sold.

Most times it is easier obviously to simply swap engines. Hopefully you don't get a POS.

You can go on Flea bay and buy an entire FZ transmission for cheap.

For the FZ, at least you don't have to pull the head, pistons, crank, etc to access the transmission.

Now (with the engine in the frame) you can pull the header, the oil pan and look up to part of the transmission and get an idea what's
going on in there. Broke parts found in the pan should help as well..

If buying an entire engine, I would look on this forum FIRST, to regular members that I would trust way more than a salvage yard with no known service life...

If your pretty mechanically inclined, preferably been in some engines, have a manual and good amount of tools, it's do-able.
One member was doing complete tear downs (gear box) and re-assemblies, posting in a day turn around!!!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pick up here about post #30 Broken Gears
Help, I've Broken My Gears.....
IIRC the trans shift drum/fork allowed a double engagement or somehow it was rammed into gear at high rpm. Best guess on my part was that some of the freewheeling constant mesh gears have press in bushing like a copper lead engine bearing and the instantaneous load deformed that bushing, thus the noise heard.

The cure in this case was the entire gear set was replaced from a cadaver....

IMG_0927_zpscc82e014.jpg

IMG_0928_zps3f76f8e4.jpg

IMG_0929_zpsae952646.jpg

IMG_0930_zps78ecb86a.jpg

IMG_0931_zps765ba5a0.jpg

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Been around the car scene my whole life but with this bike I brought for only 200 bucks but Noone in my area has ever worked on them so only choice left was to dive in myself not hard at all to do... chain broke when previous owner was riding jammed on him and I'm guessing that is what caused the damage internally... found complete gear box on the bay for under 100 bucks so only invested 300 so far...

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Been around the car scene my whole life but with this bike I brought for only 200 bucks but Noone in my area has ever worked on them so only choice left was to dive in myself not hard at all to do... chain broke when previous owner was riding jammed on him and I'm guessing that is what caused the damage internally... found complete gear box on the bay for under 100 bucks so only invested 300 so far...

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like what I got going on.... when got the chain all cut out and replaced the front gear sprocket and rear with new chain tried to ride it and all I heard was loud clunking sound coming from the gear box and chain seemed as if was binding up..pulled out the heart and started the break down gear teeth on the clutch gear are damaged so far the only gear that I have seen... is it best if I got a complete used gear box to replace everything or not???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like what I got going on.... when got the chain all cut out and replaced the front gear sprocket and rear with new chain tried to ride it and all I heard was loud clunking sound coming from the gear box and chain seemed as if was binding up..pulled out the heart and started the break down gear teeth on the clutch gear are damaged so far the only gear that I have seen... is it best if I got a complete used gear box to replace everything or not???

Pull the pan and inspect... Might be one or two parts?

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the pan and all I see is the first set of gear's that the clutch basket attached to...and the teeth on it in one spot are bad... so I need to inspect the rest to make sure..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the pan and all I see is the first set of gear's that the clutch basket attached to...and the teeth on it in one spot are bad... so I need to inspect the rest to make sure..

^^^ Wha??????

Exhibit A. Clutch basket is removed (lower left side) and you see the input shaft to the trans.

Are you saying the clutch basket is missing teeth? Have you pulled the right side cover off?

If this is the case, you could be in huge trouble (crosses fingers I'm wrong)..... the basket is driven by the gear on the crank. If that gear is damaged, bad bad bad news....

Please confirm what you see to be damaged. The Clutch basket or one of the 6 gears visible here.
IMG_0927_zpscc82e014.jpg

Edit;
These six or the missing driven gear of the clutch basket??
IMG_0928_zps3f76f8e4.jpg

Last edited:

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply but if I spend the clutch and the gears spend those are the gears that are damaged..like if you drop the oil pan the first set of gears you see are those that are attached to the that....how do I show a pic???

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply but if I spend the clutch and the gears spend those are the gears that are damaged..like if you drop the oil pan the first set of gears you see are those that are attached to the that....how do I show a pic???

From new post Button, Go Advanced. It makes other options available.
Click Picture icon paper clip. Add picture, browse to pic, upload picture. Done....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Big pic's, sign up with photobucket and upload pic's. They'll be an "Image link" to that pic.

Copy and paste that link in your post and a BIG pic (I prefer) will be there.

It'll stay UNTIL you delete it from photobucket..

Sin12

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the gear I was speaking of hope you can see what I'm saying in the pic I've givin

Attachments

• 1490879324139-3075619.jpg
    1490879324139-3075619.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 62

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the gear I was speaking of hope you can see what I'm saying in the pic I've givin

Looks like sh$t hit the fan in there! That be busted! Looks like 3rd gear gave it up. Hopefully none of those chunks went through the crank/clutch gear combo as the drive gear is the crankshaft and if damaged, well, that's a big problem.

Also, it looks like you just need a bit more slack and the oil pump will come free of the chain.

67896d1490880382-sin12-1490879324139-3075619-jpg