Signs of a knackered chain

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

What are the signs of a knackered chain ?

Mines stiff and not easy to kink and also when sitting on the bike, the chain has a lot of play... i can move it up and down so much so that it touches the underside of the swing arm !

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have two questions to look at. One is chain adjustment, and the other is whether the chain needs to be replaced.

For slack, there is a specification of how much the chain can be moved up and down (sorry for the non-technical wording of that). On my 2007, it's 45mm-55mm from pulling the chain all the way up to all the way down. Check the manual for where to take the measurement. Mine either touches or is close to the swingarm even at proper adjustment, so don't be alarmed at that. Just check the measurement and tighten if necessary.

Before I replaced my chain, I noticed stiff links. The way I checked is that the links don't fully go parallel after going around the front sprocket. I put it on the centerstand and rotated the back wheel. As the chain came off the front sprocket, most of the links went parallel again, but some didn't. My chain had 30k miles or so, so I figured it was time to change it out. Here's a thread about how my chain looked before, as well as the change out procedure. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/45813-chain-sprocket-change.html

That's the limit of my chain expertise/experience. Hopefully others can give more guidance if needed. Good luck!

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you pull the chain off the rear sprocket ? If you can and see daylight between rear sprocket and chain then its time..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have two questions to look at. One is chain adjustment, and the other is whether the chain needs to be replaced.

For slack, there is a specification of how much the chain can be moved up and down (sorry for the non-technical wording of that). On my 2007, it's 45mm-55mm from pulling the chain all the way up to all the way down. Check the manual for where to take the measurement. Mine either touches or is close to the swingarm even at proper adjustment, so don't be alarmed at that. Just check the measurement and tighten if necessary.

Before I replaced my chain, I noticed stiff links. The way I checked is that the links don't fully go parallel after going around the front sprocket. I put it on the centerstand and rotated the back wheel. As the chain came off the front sprocket, most of the links went parallel again, but some didn't. My chain had 30k miles or so, so I figured it was time to change it out. Here's a thread about how my chain looked before, as well as the change out procedure. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/45813-chain-sprocket-change.html

That's the limit of my chain expertise/experience. Hopefully others can give more guidance if needed. Good luck!

+1 ^. 30,000 miles, shesh, your doing something right!!!!

Any non straightening out links are a major indicator of the chain failing. Wear to the sprockets is also an indicator. I've found 2" total up and down play (and yes it hits the lower sring arm at full droop, on the center stand, it does tighten up once on the ground).

Double click on the below picture to enlarge it..

Last edited: