Side exhaust and GYTR shorty.

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took off the under tail muffler :ban: and installed an 03-05 R6 header with the GYTR carbon exhaust for the 06+ R6r.

As far as performance goes, who knows and who cares! :rockon: I just like the looks of it!

I do have a leak where the slip-on meets a reducer and am very receptive to any fixes (outside of welding).

Side view looks great:thumbup:. Whats the rear view under the seat like?

There's a reason I didn't include that picture... It's ugly!
I plan on carving out some compact foam in the shape I want for the under tail then fiber-glassing it. We'll see how that goes.

looks awesome! as far as your leak goes how big is the gap? I would cut a relief cut in one side and get a stronger pipe clamp, should be good

looks awesome! as far as your leak goes how big is the gap? I would cut a relief cut in one side and get a stronger pipe clamp, should be good

I followed what Motogiro said. I know the Copper RTV isn't a permanent fix, but I have no problems applying it once every few months. Best of all, after letting it dry a bit, there is no longer a leak!

Eventually I'll get a different reducer, say 2 1/8" ID to 1 3/4" ID. The slip-on came with a gasket that has a dia. of 1 3/4", but the exhaust without the gasket is 2" and may be the reason for stray exhaust.

I followed what Motogiro said. I know the Copper RTV isn't a permanent fix, but I have no problems applying it once every few months. Best of all, after letting it dry a bit, there is no longer a leak!

Eventually I'll get a different reducer, say 2 1/8" ID to 1 3/4" ID. The slip-on came with a gasket that has a dia. of 1 3/4", but the exhaust without the gasket is 2" and may be the reason for stray exhaust.

This is kinda lame for a fix but with some tin snips you could cut a length of thin sheet metal and wrap the header to build up from 1-3/4 to 2". Hint if you wrap around a 1" object (socket for example) it's natural tendancy is to "unwind" so when wrapped back around a larger object it spring back easily.

So something like 7 wraps of 0.016" stock would fill the 0.250" void. Just find something that's cheap and not to thick you can't bend it.

Sound Clip please in a Drive by cruise mode and heavy wrist perhaps???

There's a reason I didn't include that picture... It's ugly!
I plan on carving out some compact foam in the shape I want for the under tail then fiber-glassing it. We'll see how that goes.

Haha. figured as much. I've seen a couple of side mount conversions in the past but no one had addressed the undertail. Will be very keen to see your solution :thumbup:

Haha. figured as much. I've seen a couple of side mount conversions in the past but no one had addressed the undertail. Will be very keen to see your solution :thumbup:

Here's my "permanent" solution.

Also included is a prettier picture from the side with more light!

I really want to make the tail seem raised and out of the way and I think I have a solution but I would have to wait until the first snowfall to work on it (I ride as long as the ground isn't white).

And a sound clip will be available as soon as I find a decent high speed road that *isn't* 45 minutes away!

I like the creativeness and outside the box thinking BUT you just got rid of one of the main things that drew me to the fz6, the underseat pipes.

I like the creativeness and outside the box thinking BUT you just got rid of one of the main things that drew me to the fz6, the underseat pipes.
I agree with you on all points. I'll never fault someone for trying something, but I love my undertail exhaust.

However, now that you've done the shorty you should consider doing the R1 tail mod. I think that could flow pretty nicely.

Look cool but stick out a little much I think. Make sure it doesn't bottom before the pegs. Some guys did this set up on the 6R and had issues with that. You could always bring your exhaust to a muffler shop and they will expand it for a tight fit.

And please... get ride of the Pep Boy exhaust clamp! LOL

Get this one (pick the right size) Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports - Sportbike & Motorcycle Parts and Sportbike & Motorcycle Gear

You could probably cut the headers itself to tuck it in a bit more too...

Here's a pic of the exhaust I make for the 6R. (Modding the stock headers)

Last edited:
Look cool but stick out a little much I think. Make sure it doesn't bottom before the pegs. Some guys did this set up on the 6R and had issues with that. You could always bring your exhaust to a muffler shop and they will expand it for a tight fit.

And please... get ride of the Pep Boy exhaust clamp! LOL

Get this one (pick the right size) Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports - Sportbike & Motorcycle Parts and Sportbike & Motorcycle Gear

You could probably cut the headers itself to tuck it in a bit more too...

Here's a pic of the exhaust I make for the 6R. (Modding the stock headers)

I'm not too brave when it comes to cornering.

Secondly, the more recent set of photos you would have found that I put on a band clamp (the "pep boys" clamp was temporary).

And finally, that looks awesome! Maybe I will go to a shop and see if they could fit it like that!

Getting rid of the GYTR exhaust?!

Now that I figured out a way to mount the GYTR exhaust without a reducer it seemed only right to throw all that work away and get a new pipe!:BLAA:

I put a cherrybomb on there (used a lot of acetone to rub away the paint) and got a lap clamp bolted on.

This is only semi-permanent as I enjoy what jtarkany did with his underbike exhaust WAYYY too much! I want to do a single glasspack instead of a dual system. I just have to find a guy in SLC who can do some custom fabrication for me.

For now:

Back