should I switch to Synthetic oil?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, since this is an oil thread:
What's the change interval for synthetics? I'm using Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40.
Do you replace the oil filter every time too? I use the Mobil 1 m1-110 filter.

EDIT: I just asked Mobil 1. This was their (fast) response:
"You can go 5,000miles with the motorcycle motor oil. You can use the filter for the same duration as the motor oil being used."

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, you change your oil every 3 months (3k mile) and you're wondering why it still looks clean?!? Well no kidding it still looks clean, it's barely been used!!!

The Owners Manual even lists changing the oil every 10K (km).

I'm all for good maintenance and everything, but damn man, your just pouring money down the drain changing your oil that often! You could easily and safely double that to 6k miles between changes.

Never ever heard of a recommendation for 10k km, 5k is normally whats recommended by most dealers/mechanics I have spoken too, particularly with cheap oil. (5k km = 3k miles too)
I also prefer to change my oil more refrequently, and don't appreciate you being rude. You obviously have modified your bike, which also may be considered pouring money down the drain but I don't see anyone jumping up and down accusing you of needlessly wasting money. (Thanks for your VALUABLE opinion there)
The type of riding and storage conditions can have a huge impact on how long oil lasts.
The fact the FZ6 is known for being practically bulletproof certainly helps, but alot of people probably have come from other bikes without such a good rep that have needed alot more care, and it certainly is never wasted, particularly when so many people just ignore their bikes till something goes wrong.

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly as long as you change it that often your probably fine. but switching to synthetic isnt a bad idea. a little pricier but probably a little less wear and tear on your bike. not much though. if you do convert go with AMSOIL. Amsoil is the **** lol. one of the best synthetics you can buy

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Never ever heard of a recommendation for 10k km, 5k is normally whats recommended by most dealers/mechanics I have spoken too, particularly with cheap oil. (5k km = 3k miles too)
I also prefer to change my oil more refrequently, and don't appreciate you being rude. You obviously have modified your bike, which also may be considered pouring money down the drain but I don't see anyone jumping up and down accusing you of needlessly wasting money. (Thanks for your VALUABLE opinion there)
The type of riding and storage conditions can have a huge impact on how long oil lasts.
The fact the FZ6 is known for being practically bulletproof certainly helps, but alot of people probably have come from other bikes without such a good rep that have needed alot more care, and it certainly is never wasted, particularly when so many people just ignore their bikes till something goes wrong.

First off I wasn't trying to be rude (refer to the "lol's" in my post). I don't think I said anything that was rude. I quite simply and mater of factly pointed out in response to your own words of "I have noticed yesterday when I drained the used oil from the engine how clean it was." as to WHY it looks so clean.

I'm sorry you've never heard of the reccomendation for a 10k km oil change interval; that's why I looked it up and and referred to the Yamaha FZ6 owners manual on the reccomeneded service for oil changes.

Just trying to help you save some money mate. Sorry you seemed to take it as me jumping up and down accusing you of wasting money.

Relax

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
On the good ole SV my oil change interval was..... whenever the trans started to feel notchy. LOL Always used Rotella and never had any troubles.

Then I got a Duc and was like "this premium bike needs premium oil." Yeah, I did that for one oil change and went back to Rotella again with no problems.

Cheap gets my vote, but to each his own.