should I get this FZ6

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys i live out in Mesa AZ and im looking at this FZ up for sale on CL its a 2005 Fz6 black and grey not a scratch on it it only has 1800 orig miles no typo 1800 miles problem is the guy bought the bike from the dealer with 1777 miles on it he put 11 miles on it then parked it in his garage for the last seven years and has not started it or anything he stated in ad that the gas in the tank is bad and the fuel lines are prob bad but the rest of the bike is super clean. I know it will need new tires because there 7 years old so other than the obvious need of new fluids and tires and cleaning what problems might i run into with a bike thats been sitting that long? hes also asking $3000 is that a good price or what? any info would be great thanks -Matt

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
SEVEN YEARS?!?! Who does that?! Obviously you want to make sure it starts. Make him drain the old gas and put new stuff in, or bring some of your own if you want and see if she fires up...that is if the battery is any good.

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i was thinking getting a battery and seeing if she will turn over and fire up is their a drain on the tank anywhere or would i have to remove the tank to drain it? -Matt

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are several more in the area for sale on CL (there's a lot of blue ones around here). That sounds like a pretty high price to me for a bike that won't run (well or at all - doesn't matter IMHO). I see them for sale all the time on CL so I'd personally wait on a better one. I didn't pay a whole lot more than that for my 09 with ~5000 miles on it back in Feb. 12.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
It is low miles and your know it has been sitting - not started once every 6 months which can be even worse. Stuff that will need to be done will add up:

Gas tank may be rusted
Fuel lines may be clogged - probably not
Fuel pump good??? or clogged with rust from the tank?
New tires
change oil and filter
change coolant
change brake fluid
clean and lube swingarm and shock bearings
clean and lube head bearings (stem)
clean and lube wheel bearing - the one that is on the left side
check wheel bearings
clean and lube chain

Do the fork seals seal? If not would need to be replace.

None of that is too difficult and I have done all that to my bike except for changing tires.

Probably $2,800 would be more fair - would rather have a clean bike with 10,000 miles that has been regularly ridden. However it is a very clean bike and if the tank is not rusted should be a good bike for a long time.

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
Yeah...that bike is gonna need work if its been sitting that long. Mine was high miles when I got it (38k), but I only paid $2450. And it ran.

On that note...Hey there fellow valley of the sunners...We need to ride!!! I'm gonna post something in the next few weeks I think.Possibly after the ride for kids. First weekend of November maybe? Keep an eye on the Southwest forum.

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah im not in a super hurry to buy I just figured it could be a great deal and bike for the right price thats all ill keep looking around in my area but the people selling out here are all high out of there minds and want outragous prices. thanks guys if you see any clean ones in the area give me a shout.. -Matt

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah im not in a super hurry to buy I just figured it could be a great deal and bike for the right price thats all ill keep looking around in my area but the people selling out here are all high out of there minds and want outragous prices. thanks guys if you see any clean ones in the area give me a shout.. -Matt

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
the worst issue i find is if the fuel tank is rusty and the fuel injectors are gummed up. you need to spend a lot of money on top of the 3000 to make it running as it should. cleanining a rusty fuel tank is not always a simple task, so beware

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, after a new battery, new tires, an oil change with filter and a possible tank replacement, you should have a like-new bike. I would haggle the price down for what this stuff is going to cost you though. Everyone here has given you good advice - take it.
(The reason I said what I did about the new tank is: A friend of mine put his bike in winter storage one year and only left his tank half-full. Come spring everything above "the waterline" was pure rust. If this s the case and you do not try to crank it, perhaps only a new tank will be necessary?)
Whatever, good luck man!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Great find! Blue book the bike. Kelly, N.A.D.A., Etc.

I think the 09 with next to 500 miles. Is around 5300.00 last march. Given the fact it has 1800 miles and it's a 2005. I can't believe that's a bad price....

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my '05 back in 2010 for $1900 and it ran perfectly with new tires and valve adjustment. It did have higher miles but it runs perfect and all the local shops are impressed by its condition. If you have patience then you can probably find a better deal. Maybe try to see if the owner would take it to a shop to have the work done then $3000 would probably be a good price :BLAA:

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my '05 back in 2010 for $1900 and it ran perfectly with new tires and valve adjustment. It did have higher miles but it runs perfect and all the local shops are impressed by its condition. If you have patience then you can probably find a better deal. Maybe try to see if the owner would take it to a shop to have the work done then $3000 would probably be a good price :BLAA:

That was MOTHER LUCK on your side and some serious desperation from the seller. I would not count on that being the norm for anyone, sweet deals like that are rare!