Short clutch lever and clutch operation

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, maybe I've got small hands, but I don't have a firm feeling on my clutch lever - it grips just at the end, and sometimes I fear that the lever might slip and I stall or do a wheelie or whatever stupid/dangerous might occur.

So I thought about short levers - closer to handlebars means a better grip. Put what about the clutch? Will the lever still be able to fully disengage the clutch? I do not want to burn the clutch plates unintentionally :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think short levers will change anything regarding the closeness with the bars.
If anything it will make clutching harder since you have less leverage and will be forced to use only 2 fingers.

What you want are adjustable levers, they will be closer to the bars, but the clutch will still grip at the end, that's just the design of it.

Some people have modified the slave lever to change that.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, should be adjustable, not short. A small spelling mistake ;) Modified slave lever won't decrease the distance for my hand :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Slave lever will not modifie the distance, but it will reduce the strength and will get the grab point closer to the bar.

Adjustable lever work, a lot of people use them.

There are a lot of levers available for the FZ6, going from really cheap "the2wheels" chinese made levers, to very expensive Pazzo, ASV and CRG levers.

Just do a bit of research, google "FZ6 levers", look on eBay...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the adjustable lever.

You can also, up to a point, loosen up the cable adjuster so the lever comes closer to the bar.

Just make sure the clutch is fully disengaging when the lever is pulled in.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Guys. I've already seen some levers, the full disengage factor is the main issue here. However, if you say that adjustable levers will allow for a better grip and full clutch operation then it's what is left for me is to choose the levers and install it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the adjustable lever.

You can also, up to a point, loosen up the cable adjuster so the lever comes closer to the bar.

Just make sure the clutch is fully disengaging when the lever is pulled in.

Yup! I did this on R6.. definitely more slack than normal, but not so much that the cable end can pop out. I don't like when the friction zone is at the very beginning of the lever movement (farthest point from the bar).

Adjustable levers are the way to go. FZ6 has one of the shortest friction zones of any bike I've ever ridden.. having adjustable clutch lever on this bike is almost a must (unless you've got really long fingers).