Votes: 8 32.0%
  • The DIY seat

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth....I needed to get my seat shaved, so I went to Jhon Longo shop here in Rockville MD. He did it for me for 90$ in 2 hours.....I'm happy with the results.

wmk

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job on the seat. Quick question-by removing the foam, did you increase the vibes going through the seat? Thanks

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job on the seat. Quick question-by removing the foam, did you increase the vibes going through the seat? Thanks
Yeah a bit more. But the stock foam was never comfy. I added 2cm of gel which made it brilliant. I'm going to replace all the foam with gel on the main rider's section of the seat to make it even more comfy.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah a bit more. But the stock foam was never comfy. I added 2cm of gel which made it brilliant. I'm going to replace all the foam with gel on the main rider's section of the seat to make it even more comfy.

Sanger, where'd you buy the gel insert?
it turned out pretty good and it didn't cost me anything since I had the staples. I just have to work out a few wrinkles in the cover.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
The new position feels much better, as I can flat-foot my bike at stops now. I tried to keep the same basic shape. :rockon:

Oh, and I also painted the hugger with krylon fusion "textured black" spray paint.
I may switch to gloss black if I change my mind.
Either way, I think it looks better than the stock, dull black.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sanger, where'd you buy the gel insert?
it turned out pretty good and it didn't cost me anything since I had the staples. I just have to work out a few wrinkles in the cover.
I bought a gel numnah designed for horses to go under the saddle. Equigel is good as they are massive and can be doubled over and still cover the whole saddle. I've bought a second one that I will add in when I have free time and take out all the foam on the rider's seat (or most of it).

briang03

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I fell of the bike when it stalled (loose throttle cable) put my foot down and discovered a pot hole so just kept going. The crash bungs worked great no damage the bike just pulled muscles on me. I decided as my legs are getting shorter (60 yrs old) I have to do something about putting both feet down firmly I do not want platform boots. So after asking around I discovered a upholsterer who was versed in lowing seats, but what he did was to shave the base so the seat cover kept it shape. So after a 500 mile trip to the Highlands and Plockton I have no compliants on any confort issues

lunchboxer

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to shave the seat from the bottom today. I didn't want to take the time to cut and sand the top of the foam so it wouldn't be lumpy. And to be honest, I'm not in love with it. It hasn't really lowered the seat where I can flat foot the bike. Only cost me $23 for a staple gun and staples though.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to shave the seat from the bottom today. I didn't want to take the time to cut and sand the top of the foam so it wouldn't be lumpy. And to be honest, I'm not in love with it. It hasn't really lowered the seat where I can flat foot the bike. Only cost me $23 for a staple gun and staples though.

I think you should try it from the top that way you can change the shape. Narrow out the area that is in between your legs when you are at a stop and dip down the area where your arse normally sits. I had good luck with it, about 3/4 to an 1 inch. Its not that big a deal to smooth it back out with a sanding block.

Good luck.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you should try it from the top that way you can change the shape. Narrow out the area that is in between your legs when you are at a stop and dip down the area where your arse normally sits. I had good luck with it, about 3/4 to an 1 inch. Its not that big a deal to smooth it back out with a sanding block.

Good luck.
Yeah, changing the shape is where it matters. Mine is completely different from stock. Much rounder, I sit further back, much less wide and much lower. Just taking a bit of height off it won't change the problem with the overall design.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that I'm advocating this site but here is some related info that could be useful for those thinking of doing a seat mod.

Me, i think it needs different foam and the angle flattened to prevent creepage into the tank. but foam that can handle days of sun, maybe being wet, and being squished??? I'm not sure what we need but it better be good!

Take a look a look here.
Foam Types

Foam Basics

And Sanger, thanks for the post! :thumbup:

One question tho - did you use stainless steel staples so they don't rust?

Also, for pulling the seat cover back after doing work, I'd suggest applying tape to the edge to assist in getting a grip. Keep in mind you may end up putting staples through it later. . .

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I HIGHLY recommend lowering the seat with Spencer Custom modification. Its not as cheap as this mod (free) but for a reasonable price you get superior comfort and its lowered an inch :rockon:

Made a HUGE difference for me in manueverability of the bike for me. It only lowered it an inch, which for me is perfect i cant fully flat foot but it still a big difference. I think using this mod combined with lowering springs would easily flat foot it for most.

Here is my thread with some pics of the seat http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...red-spencer-comfort-seat-fz6r-bars-today.html

Seat looks stock but feels muchhhh better. Info is found here Flash Intro Page I opted for the $75 dollar option with supra cor material. And the custom widening and stuff he did is standard requests for an fz6 which is what i asked him for.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to a low mileage 2007 FZ6. I am also short, 5'6", and get the balls of my feet down. Backing up is NOT easy. I think the Spencer seat guy is the way to go for me, I would have ulcers worrying about ruining the seat. Thanks to the original poster, good stuff.