Selling Prices for Fizzers?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering selling my FZ6. What I'll replace it with is still in the air, but I've got some ideas. First things first though.

It's an '06, with about 16K miles. Puig DB windscreen, Scorpion cans w/inserts, F/E kit, and some small bits not really worth mentioning. If I sell this thing privately(not gonna trade it, dealer needs to make cash too, so I'll get almost nothing for it that way), how much should I ask for it? Of course I want as much cash as possible(who doesn't), but what would you all say would be a reasonable price? Keep in mind I am in California, where prices are always inflated. I was thinking around $3700-ish. Opinions please! :thumbup:

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my 2006 FZ6 with 7300 miles for $3000 about 7 months ago. It was completely stock, but it had been dropped on the right side at about 10 mph. However, the damage was very minimal, just a couple of quarter sized scratches that I sanded and repainted, and a 2.5 inch hairline crack in the fairing that is basically invisible without looking really closely.

I live in Northern Michigan.

Given your mods and the fact that it hasn't been dropped I'd say $3700 is probably close, though you may need to come down to around $3500 depending on your competition.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
$3,000 would be the east coast price if it was February but considering it's riding season $3,500 might be reasonable here so $3,700 in over-inflated CA could sell!
:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
....... . . . a 2.5 inch hairline crack that is basically invisible without looking really closely. ... ... ..

Sorry about the thread derail - care to start a new thread or PM me with some details on that? Cracks on cast frames are NOT a Good thing! Did you know this when you bought it?

OK - as you were...

2011-03, stock never dropped, 4300 miles = $4,300 dollars

You can always lower the price or accept an offer. Starting low will end low. I'd bump that up a tad and see what the market bares...

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Step 1: Sell the exhaust and any other shiny bits separately. Selling the aftermarket parts by far gives you the best return at the end of the day (In my experience anyway). These bikes fetch about the same price fully loaded or bone stock unless you find the right buyer.

I would suggest looking at your local Craigslist listing for the same year bike, and subtracting $300 from the lowest one you find that is in similar condition. Classified ads have been over-inflating for years as people list high to negotiate into a lower price. The problem is, people see the inflated price, Say: "Mine is way nicer, better, faster, gooder than that one" (Human nature really), and start their price a little bit higher. The vicious circle continues from there.

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the thread derail - care to start a new thread or PM me with some details on that? Cracks on cast frames are NOT a Good thing! Did you know this when you bought it?

OK - as you were...

2011-03, stock never dropped, 4300 miles = $4,300 dollars

You can always lower the price or accept an offer. Starting low will end low. I'd bump that up a tad and see what the market bares...

+1 Cracks on ANY frame are cause for worry. Assuming that's what he meant anyways. Hopefully it's crack in the plastic or something.

I actually have a co-worker that is very interested, and already knows what it's got for mods, and likes it a lot. So I guess I'm lucky there. If I were to list it, then yea, I'd find a stock exhaust to put on it, at the minimum. Heck, I may do that anyways, just to maximize my cash, as you pointed out, Skooter65. Thanks for the input!

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site

The crack is in side of the front outer fairing, not in the frame :D

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
id ask for 3700.. when they try to low ball you, say "are you interested or not??".. never give up ground if you don't have to.. i hear it constantly "oh i can get this here for this, blah blah blah..". and i tell them this is my price.. if they walk, there will always be another one...

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
id ask for 3700.. when they try to low ball you, say "are you interested or not??".. never give up ground if you don't have to.. i hear it constantly "oh i can get this here for this, blah blah blah..". and i tell them this is my price.. if they walk, there will always be another one...

Exactly. Dealers around here do that all the time, and they end up selling no matter what. So if they can do it, so can I! :D