Seized chain links

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

My chain was filthy and a few links were seized ( normally lube chain every week or two, just never cleaned it). i could hear them making a noise while i was driving.
so i cleaned my chain using a chain cleaner and a grunge brush. until it was like brand new. tightened up my chain, lubed it.

bike was driving fine for a week but now i can hear the links making noise again :Flash:

is it a case of as the chain stretches out the noise is becoming more obvious?

your help is appreciated :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually when the links get stiff there is a problem with the "O" rings They may have gotten rust in them or chemical contamination that compromised the "O" rings where the internally sealed lubricants are not good any more. I would just get a new chain. Inspect your sprockets for wear and replace accordingly.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the sprockets close, it they are worn replace them or they will wear out your chain much faster.

Replace chain and both sprockets at the same time, every time. :thumbup:

You may need an pneumatic impact wrench to get the front sprocket off, they are really tight from the factory. Also, you'll need a chain breaker or angle grinder to break/cut the factory chain.

Otherwise it is pretty straight forward. I buy new chains with clip links, easy to install.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Replace chain and both sprockets at the same time, every time. :thumbup:

You may need an pneumatic impact wrench to get the front sprocket off, they are really tight from the factory. Also, you'll need a chain breaker or angle grinder to break/cut the factory chain.

Otherwise it is pretty straight forward. I buy new chains with clip links, easy to install.

I was told this too - without an impact gun - getting the front sprocket off would be extremely difficult. This is a misconception - at least in my book. I put a 2 foot piece of 2x4 between the rear wheel and the swingarm, and when your wrench gets far enough, the wood will wedge and prevent the wheel from spinning at all while you loosen the sprocket. Very easy if you don't have an impact gun like me. Just ask a buddy to hold the bike while you wrench it off because it does take some force. I did it by myself however so its not necessary.....

Also something I wish somebody would have told me in advance. Change the front sprocket first......unless you want to reassemble the rear of your bike 2 times over. Once the chain is off and rear wheel and sprocket are off - there is no getting the front sprocket off until everything is RE-assembled, just to be disassembled again after you remove the front.

Front sprocket first, 2x4, breaker bar - and you're golden. Easy as pie.