Scraping noise from the rear wheel!

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
Dose anyone know if it is normal to hear this soft rubbing, scraping noise when the bike is on the center stand and the real wheel is turned by hand forward or back. I am pretty sure its the break that's rubbing just a bit!

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds pretty normal. Few brakes don't rub slightly and can make a small rubbing noise that sounds a bit like metal on metal. Or a chiming noise. Best to check the pads and make sure there's some meat on there though, and they shouldn't be binding (where the wheel barely rotates by hand and is like the brake is on when its not) I wouldn't worry if the above are checked Nd all ok though

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dose anyone know if it is normal to hear this soft rubbing, scraping noise when the bike is on the center stand and the real wheel is turned by hand forward or back. I am pretty sure its the break that's rubbing just a bit!

You can always check if it's the brakes that are making noises by geeeently applying the brake while continuously spinning the wheel. The same "scraping sound" should increase more and more just before the brakepads start to bite too much for you to spin it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it is safe to do so; pull off from the highway after running for 4 to 5 minutes at speeds greater than 50 mph and use only the front brake to stop. Pull off in a safe area and promptly check the disc temperature. It should be cool to the touch if the caliper is floating properly and the piston is retracting properly.

Use care as the disc may be hot enough to burn.

Beyond that, simply confirm there is no contact from the caliper hanger and it should be good. NOTE: Noises that create vibrations must be resolved!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - just to keep tabs on things; repeat the same braking test but this time stop using the rear brake only and confirm the fronts are both cool. Use this a reference that all is well and calipers are working as expected.

Although if they have not been bled in the last 365 days, you might consider flushing the old fluid and pressure bleeding them to keep the brakes in top shape! :thumbup: