Sad sad society

So im now going through my insurance to get repairs and it went from a rewire to have a code 19,

As i have insurance and comprehensive doesn't affect your rate i decided to file.

rewires done and shop now tells me a second file is going to have to placed because the wiring harness was pinched and it fried the ecu, and Neutral Safety switch. so now i need a California edition ECU and a NSS.

All due to someone messing with something thats not theirs, ill never understand.

Looking for a california ECU and a neutral safety switch if anyone has one that works let me know thanks :)

There's a starter cutout interrupt relay assembly that has diodes that are easy to blow when shorting the wires to the ignition. These wires were probably shorted when they were cut. If the ECU doesn't get the correct signal from the starter cutout assembly the ECU may appear dead and not function. You may replace the ECU only to find it was okay.
The unit processes logic from the clutch lever switch, side stand switch and neutral safety switch.:)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

That relay is located where?

I also don't want to step on their toes as they are a professional shop, I don't want to be the back seat driver
But it's worth mentioning to them.

Thanks moto

I also don't want to step on their toes as they are a professional shop, I don't want to be the back seat driver

Thanks moto

Hey, if you're the customer and it's your bike, don't worry about stepping on toes, worry about your bike getring fixed correctly the first time.

Hey, if you're the customer and it's your bike, don't worry about stepping on toes, worry about your bike getring fixed correctly the first time.

yeah being a mechanic and knowing the mechanics their they don't intentionally do things like this they want the bike in broken out fixed money in hand.

As i will not pay until the work is done i'm not going to sit and micromanage them but i will say hey did you check the starting cut out relay.

yes i am the customer and no i will not pay them for work that is unsatisfactory but i trust them in the diagnosis process. not the first time they have dealt with a motorcycle.

not saying they can't make mistakes but i don't think its right to tell them how to do their job

Thanks moto

We had a member here break a key off in the middle of nowhere on a forum ride. I had to open his harness and got his bike running. I told him to have me do the permanent repair. He had another person at his work do it but a third party came along an touched the wires, shorting them and damaged the starter cutout assembly. It's located on the left side plastic pod below the seat. It has 13 wires on a 16 wire plug.
One of the weakest areas of mechanical repair is in the electrical systems on automotive and motorcycle.
It's very easy to misdiagnose if you don't have a complete picture of the entire system and how it works. I'm not saying these guys don't know what they're doing. I'm just suggesting that they check this area before replacing the ECU unless they positively know the ECU is toast.:)

The ECU will stop fuel injection, ignition and fuel delivery if the starter cutout relay assembly says there is a problem. The ECU will play dead.

Last edited:
We had a member here break a key off in the middle of nowhere on a forum ride. I had to open his harness and got his bike running. I told him to have me do the permanent repair. He had another person at his work do it but a third party came along an touched the wires, shorting them and damaged the starter cutout assembly. It's located on the left side plastic pod below the seat. It has 13 wires on a 16 wire plug.
One of the weakest areas of mechanical repair is in the electrical systems on automotive and motorcycle.
It's very easy to misdiagnose if you don't have a complete picture of the entire system and how it works. I'm not saying these guys don't know what they're doing. I'm just suggesting that they check this area before replacing the ECU unless they positively know the ECU is toast.:)

The ECU will stop fuel injection, ignition and fuel delivery if the starter cutout relay assembly says there is a problem. The ECU will play dead.

Yeah i completely agree being a student of the automotive trade and now engineerings school electrical is very lackluster anywhere you go.

I have seen your work and its really great hense why i take your opinions very seriously i will make note of this and inform them as i do not want to buy an ECU just for looks

but i do have faith in their abilities and want to give them the benefit of the doubt

If it does turn out to be the ECU I have a spare one from a 04-06 model. I believe it is a 49 state unit (5VX-8591A-10-00) but will work on a CA bike.

PM if interested.

If it does turn out to be the ECU I have a spare one from a 04-06 model. I believe it is a 49 state unit (5VX-8591A-10-00) but will work on a CA bike.

PM if interested.

thanks when they open on tues going to suggest to them what moto said, after that ill let you know

Nothing good to add but threads like these make me glad I don't live in a major city and instead I chose to be underpaid, live in the sticks, a couple acres of land, A padlocked shed or basement to keep my bikes and a mortgage that is about the same as a 1-BR apartment rental. There's always trade offs but they couldn't pay me enough to live and work in a major city.

Years ago I was out walking my dog just after midnight in an apt complex. I heard tapping sounds, rounded a corner and two guys were trying to jack the ignition on a bike. I said something to them, they looked at me and my dog (Doberman/Greyhound mix) and they left the area pretty quick. I reported it to the local PD but the bike was registered in another state so didn't know who it belonged to.

Apartment complexes are fertile dens for stealing autos, trucks and motorcycles. Aside from a locked garage you can't do much to thwart the thieves that come in droves to apartments.

Back