S1 & S1 weight and handling difference

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a chance to compare my S1 2006 with a friend's S2 (2008). I always thought the differences are minor and both bikes ride the same way.

What I noticed and wonder why:
1. Slow speed turns - on her S2 the bike feels like it wants to turn harder than you want it to do it - the handlebars have the tendency to turn themselves inside the turn, it needs much more strenght in hands to keep the bike going where it's supposed to go.

2. Weight - my S1 was half full tank, her S2 almost empty (about 5litres inside) and she couldn't put my bike straight from the sidestand sitting on it. She said my bike felt much more heavier than hers.

One fact, that might help is she has a custom handlebar, no idea where from, but it's shiny and certainly not from FZ6 (different shape, more flat, lower). But could the handlebar be the reason behind all this behaviour?

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Ground control to Major Tom :
Indeed, I have very new PilotRoad 3 while her front is 2010 and the pressure was 2.5 BUT her rear tyre needs to be replaced ASAP.

But it doesn't explain the weight issue, does it?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent of you to note that two nearly identical machines can feel so different!

Simple changes stack up. The basic geometry is unchanged so little things likes, fuel, tires (& brand + wear), as well as rear spring setting all change weight bias making the bike feel different.

My S2 08) Although I have a stock rear spring rate in the back, I have fixed rate springs on both ends, R6 forks, R1 shock, FZ1 bars, front stanchion tubes are slid up the triple 8 mm and the bike is nothing like it was when I began.

For lack of better words its effortless to steer it through any corners. Its like it knows the way and goes there with no effort from me at all. One handed or no hands and it just falls in as if we are one.

Tire changes really effect how these behave as does pressure. They all have their own profile and when I went from the two BT-016 to S20's, not much change. But throwing an S20 up front and the BT-023 outback, that really changed its behavior. So now its a trade off of tire life vs performance.

Setting the bike up to each riders liking really matters and its done so with small things like bars, weight bias, peg position, tires, springs rates, SAG and to some extent tire design.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if there is a 'perfect' setup for me then, as every bike will feel different. I think mine rides better then hers but, on the other hand, I got used to my bike through the year I own it so it's also hard to say if some things are working good or bad (like it was before valve regulation - bike used to hesitate when going from stop) and I could easily say that it's typical for this bike.

On the other hand I remember my bike had this leaning idea on curves when I had the old 2007 rubber on front and 2010 on the back.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
...on her S2 the bike feels like it wants to turn harder than you want it to do it - the handlebars have the tendency to turn themselves inside the turn, it needs much more strenght in hands to keep the bike going where it's supposed to go.

Mine was like this on an old front tyre - it had worn left and right of the central ridge, leaving it triangular, meaning it fell into corners instead of rolling into them. Maybe the squared off rear means you have to push too hard to initiate lean, which puts you off balance when you do get onto the round section?

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
That would really explain a lot. She already has a new rear tire ordered, should have it on this week, I'll see if there is any difference in handling then.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm also going to say tires. How many times have you heard someone say that there new tires are so much better then the olds ones... well of course they are.

As for weight, handle bars make a difference in perceived weight a wider bar with less sweep back will have more leverage.

I also believe we can with time get use to any bike or any setup. No setup is perfect for everything but we as riders get use to it and compensate without really thinking about it. If you switched bikes for a month when you switch back your own bike would now feel foreign.