Rumor has it...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
You're supposed to replace your helmet every two years. Am I the only one to have heard this? Do you replace your helmet on a regular basis?

I ask because mine is about to enter its 4th year of service and I'd love an excuse to go look at a Scorpion EXO 1000 ;).

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use whatever excuse you want...I prefer Arai.

I am not going to replace mine unless it has had an impact of some severity, or I feel the entire helmet system has been compromised( bad drop) or it stinks so bad I can't wear it after washing the liner, or they change the safety standards so much I feel compelled to.

There more than likely is some standard, but at $400.00 plus for what I like, you can bet I'll get some use of it for a while before I buy another.

W

wrightme43

5 years from the date of manufacture is the replacement spec as far as I know.

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, it's every two years now huh? When I first started riding 15 years ago they all said every 4-5 years. I can't answer your question but I've heard strong arguments on both sides. Some say it's nonsense and a sales ploy. Others agree you should change it. But what I can comment on is the EXO-1000. I have one that is now 1700 miles (10 months) old.

What I like:
-EXTREMELY comfortable. I couldn't ask for better.
-retractable tinted visor. I use it often.

What I don't like:
-Venting could be better and the top vents wheeze in the wind a little when you tilt your head downward.
-Face shield is flimsy. The lockable position (barely open) doesn't stay locked well at all. It definitely needs a sturdier face shield and more clickable positions in the barely open position, like my old Shoei.

I found mine didn't loosen up much with use. It still feels almost just as snug as when I bought it. YMMV but I suggest getting a fit that's correct at time of purchase. Some say to buy it tight and it will loosen up over time. Glad I didn't listen to them because mine didn't. Measure your head and use the sizing guideline at their web site.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, it's every two years now huh? When I first started riding 15 years ago they all said every 4-5 years. I can't answer your question but I've heard strong arguments on both sides. Some say it's nonsense and a sales ploy. Others agree you should change it. But what I can comment on is the EXO-1000. I have one that is now 1700 miles (10 months) old.

What I like:
-EXTREMELY comfortable. I couldn't ask for better.
-retractable tinted visor. I use it often.

What I don't like:
-Venting could be better and the top vents wheeze in the wind a little when you tilt your head downward.
-Face shield is flimsy. The lockable position (barely open) doesn't stay locked well at all. It definitely needs a sturdier face shield and more clickable positions in the barely open position, like my old Shoei.

I found mine didn't loosen up much with use. It still feels almost just as snug as when I bought it. YMMV but I suggest getting a fit that's correct at time of purchase. Some say to buy it tight and it will loosen up over time. Glad I didn't listen to them because mine didn't. Measure your head and use the sizing guideline at their web site.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input on the helmet. I've got an EXO 700 now and have noticed the same problems (noise, strange visor locations, fit, etc.). I would really like the built-in sun visor though... Getting pretty tired of cramming sunglasses into the helmet.

Thanks for the replies. Still curious how often you guys replace your head gear.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm like oldfast, I'll replace mine if it's too funky for me to stick my face into or if it's either been crashed in or taken a bad/hard fall.

grouzer

Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to also check out the HJC FS-10. I picked one up last year and really like it. Have no plans of replacing until I damage it.

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
I just read the review. As an owner of an EXO-1000 I can say it's very good and acurate. I agree with everything except for their opinion of the sun visor. Mine works well and still seems mechanically sound. I wish it was darker on those mornings I'm traveling east at sunrise. But then it would be too dark for normal bright days at noon.

As far as the weight goes, I guess it is a little heavy but I never thought about it until they mentioned it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not going to replace mine unless it has had an impact of some severity, or I feel the entire helmet system has been compromised( bad drop) or it stinks so bad I can't wear it after washing the liner, or they change the safety standards so much I feel compelled to,

5 years from the date of manufacture is the replacement spec as far as I know.

both of these guys nailed the reasons for a new helmet exactly. 5 years from manufacture and any substantial impact.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
both of these guys nailed the reasons for a new helmet exactly. 5 years from manufacture and any substantial impact.

Yep. Been selling helmets for more than 13 years now, and wearing them for close to 30. Every manufacturer that I've ever spoken with on the subject tells me "no more than 5 years or at the first substantial impact". The reason for this is because the sweat and oils from your body react with the helmets protective foam and cause it to deteriorate, as does exposure to the elements.

A "substantial" impact is a little harder to define. We've all heard that if the helmet falls from the bike, coffee table, whatever it should be replaced, but that isn't so either. Unless your head is in it. A fall from that height empty isn't going to compromise the helmets structure. With your head in it? Depends on the situation. A good rule of thumb is if you get your bell rung it's time to replace the lid.

Bruce

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. Been selling helmets for more than 13 years now, and wearing them for close to 30. Every manufacturer that I've ever spoken with on the subject tells me "no more than 5 years or at the first substantial impact". The reason for this is because the sweat and oils from your body react with the helmets protective foam and cause it to deteriorate, as does exposure to the elements.

A "substantial" impact is a little harder to define. We've all heard that if the helmet falls from the bike, coffee table, whatever it should be replaced, but that isn't so either. Unless your head is in it. A fall from that height empty isn't going to compromise the helmets structure. With your head in it? Depends on the situation. A good rule of thumb is if you get your bell rung it's time to replace the lid.

Bruce

Sounds like it's time to start shopping! :)

B

bluenova

I think it's a good idea to get it scanned every year or two but as others have said 5 years seems to be the industry standard for lifespan of a helmet.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to see an independent study done; depending on the manufacturers' studies, who depend on sales for their bottom line, isn't the best way to go ;). I've worked more than a few years as a Reliability engineer, and you'd be amazed at the "doctoring" of statistics to reinforce a different goal that program managers and bean counters request, even with the Government. :(

Having said that, look at the plastic dashboard of any vehicle over 10 years old; would you trust your skull to that?

Like I said, I'd like to see an independent study done.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an ICON with fog free and rubberized finish...
SNELL approved for under $150...

I also didn't realize how oversized my ZOX was I went from an XL to a Medium...

I have a long head... but not very round... I love this helmet, crazy comfortable and the vents make it feel like the perfect temp from 40 degrees to 75

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to also check out the HJC FS-10. I picked one up last year and really like it. Have no plans of replacing until I damage it.

Only reason I replaced mine was because of a tiny scratch and the insurance company paid me MSRP for it!