rpm's!!!!

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends how you're riding.

Just cruising i stick around 4-6 (need to drop a gear or 2 to accelerate quickly)

Riding a bit more aggressively (ready to accelerate without dropping gear) then around 6-8.

Anything above that should be while accelerating. So the only time you'd STAY in a range of say 8-10 is on twisties etc.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Great question - I was just thinking about that today. I find myself going 70 in 6th at 6,000. Again, if the acceleration is needed then you have to downshift, but hopefully not going to need it all that much on the highways.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends how you're riding.

Just cruising i stick around 4-6 (need to drop a gear or 2 to accelerate quickly)

Riding a bit more aggressively (ready to accelerate without dropping gear) then around 6-8.

Anything above that should be while accelerating. So the only time you'd STAY in a range of say 8-10 is on twisties etc.

What he said...

I generally road around 5k for around town riding, but would hold 5-8 on the twisty stuff, and above that when actively accelerating hard. It's a pretty well rounded motor, so you can't go wrong really.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
on a track i mostly use 2nd and 3rd gear
on twisties i usually stay in around 3rd or 4th gear

5th and 6th for anything boring :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
For just cruising (not accelerating or decelerating) it's generally best to ride in the highest gear possible without bogging down the engine. On the FZ6 this usually means at least 4,500rpm but 5,000 is better. Many owners experience vibrations (buzz) around 6-7K rpms so I generally like to cruise just under 6K rpms in 6th gear or 7,500rpms on the highway at higher speeds. :BLAA:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ride the bike how the situation calls for, every road, every situation is different. I have never had any concerns about the rpm's or even taking the bike to redline. I haven't hurt a bike yet that I have owned, redlining the bike or riding it like it was built for does not hurt it.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride about 5 of the 7 days of the week town and interstate.

Interstate 70mph-80mph with Sprocket Changes to 520 Conversion I run about 7k-8k. 70mph being closer 7000rpm and 80mph closer to 8000rpm.

Town i'm not too sure, don't really look at it during slow speeds.

ktm-yamaha13

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys. my concern was that i would damage the motor cruzing at too high of an rpm.. but i find myself in the same rpm range as everyone else here who posted a response.. thanks for the feed back everyone

ktm-yamaha13

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys. my concern was that i would damage the motor cruzing at too high of an rpm.. but i find myself in the same rpm range as everyone else here who posted a response.. thanks for the feed back everyone

also i definitly notice the vibration increase around 7000. anyone found a fix for that? maybe filling the handle bars with foam? (old trick i picked up from the dirt bike side of life)

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to me that the battery doesn't charge below 4500 rpm, so best be above that if its for an extended time. Personally I don't cruise above 5500-6000, but I don't see anything wrong with 7-8000 so some as the engine was properly broken in. Refer to the manual.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
"So the only time you'd STAY in a range of say 8-10 is on twisties etc. "

I'm also in the learning stage....so, if I was in the twisties, between what gears should I be playing with, 3rd to 4th? 'and between 8-10k RPM? Is this right?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed that on secondary roads I am usually bitty-bopping along around 5 grand or so. On interstates I usually run around 6 - 7 grand.
As far as your question goes: If you have good oil in the crankcase I think these (near bullet-proof) engines would cruise forever at 8000 revs.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to me that the battery doesn't charge below 4500 rpm, so best be above that if its for an extended time. Personally I don't cruise above 5500-6000, but I don't see anything wrong with 7-8000 so some as the engine was properly broken in. Refer to the manual.

lol that is news to me.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
"So the only time you'd STAY in a range of say 8-10 is on twisties etc. "

I'm also in the learning stage....so, if I was in the twisties, between what gears should I be playing with, 3rd to 4th? 'and between 8-10k RPM? Is this right?

It depends. If you want to move fast through the twisties you need to be above 8K rpms in order to have power to accelerate out of the corner but if you are inexperienced it's dangerous to be at higher rpms due to engine braking when you let go of throttle but moreso for the power you will have if you give it too much throttle you can loose the rear end in the middle of the corner. It's safer to keep the revs around 6,000 through curves when you are in experienced and practice using the brakes to slow down for a curve and then smoothly and slowly release the brakes as you enter the curve (trail braking), maintain smooth throttle through the curve and then accelerate out. This is much easier to practice at 6,000 rpms than 8-10K!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends. If you want to move fast through the twisties you need to be above 8K rpms in order to have power to accelerate out of the corner but if you are inexperienced it's dangerous to be at higher rpms due to engine braking when you let go of throttle but moreso for the power you will have if you give it too much throttle you can loose the rear end in the middle of the corner. It's safer to keep the revs around 6,000 through curves when you are in experienced and practice using the brakes to slow down for a curve and then smoothly and slowly release the brakes as you enter the curve (trail braking), maintain smooth throttle through the curve and then accelerate out. This is much easier to practice at 6,000 rpms than 8-10K!

Was going to mention this myself while reading through :).

I find myself not needing the higher revs as much with the smaller front sprocket. It has more get up and go than most cars even when rolling in the throttle from 5k.

hise0001

Reaction score
Visit site
I originally thought about reducing the rear sprocket size to bring down rpms; but, changed my mind. My perspective is...

My beater Saturn with 166000 miles and in great mechanical shape...
70 mph turns at 2500 RPM... Redline of 5500 (45% of redline value)

My stock FZ6....
75 mph (indicated) turns at 6000 RPM... Redline of 14000 (43% of redline value)

6000 RPM isn't working the engine that hard... It's just cruising along and has a torque and horsepower bump just waiting to be tapped at 7000 RPMs

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/at...4-fz6-torque-hp-curve-fz6_hp_torque_curve.jpg

hise0001

Reaction score
Visit site
I originally thought about reducing the rear sprocket size to bring down rpms; but, changed my mind. My perspective is...

My beater Saturn with 166000 miles and in great mechanical shape...
70 mph turns at 2500 RPM... Redline of 5500 (45% of redline value)

My stock FZ6....
75 mph (indicated) turns at 6000 RPM... Redline of 14000 (43% of redline value)

6000 RPM isn't working the engine that hard... It's just cruising along and has a torque and horsepower bump just waiting to be tapped at 7000 RPMs

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/at...4-fz6-torque-hp-curve-fz6_hp_torque_curve.jpg