Rpm

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Idle should be around 1280-1400 (I believe it's in the owners manual).

+1 dako81. I believe the FZ6's power band is around 7000 - 9000 rpm. It's a higher reving bike; meaning you should keep it in higher rpms when riding.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anywhere between 0 and 14,000.

You beat me to it... too funny!!!

The normal RPM can varry with the type of riding you are doing, if i am just cruising then i put it in 6th and just troll, if i am getting aggressive i would keep it up above 5000 to get the full response. I believe that the max HP is produced a little above 10,000, so if you are looking for max performance and power that is where you will want to be keeping your shifts...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
You beat me to it... too funny!!!

The normal RPM can varry with the type of riding you are doing, if i am just cruising then i put it in 6th and just troll, if i am getting aggressive i would keep it up above 5000 to get the full response. I believe that the max HP is produced a little above 10,000, so if you are looking for max performance and power that is where you will want to be keeping your shifts...

you mean I shouldn't be shifting a nanosecond before it bounces off the rev limiter? but it's sooo fun:D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
A nanosecond before? My friend, you're not exploring the entire power band.

Hold the throttle wide open, and as you approach the rev limit, put upward pressure on your shifter. As the engine hits the rev limit it'll cut fuel and spark. As soon as it does that, the transmission will upshift. No need to clutch, no need to let off the throttle.

You may eventually need a new transmission, but it's handy for drag races.

Fred

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hold the throttle wide open, and as you approach the rev limit, put upward pressure on your shifter. As the engine hits the rev limit it'll cut fuel and spark. As soon as it does that, the transmission will upshift. No need to clutch, no need to let off the throttle.

Fred

Personal experience? or heard of other beating their bikes...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

Fred

I don't think I could bring myself to do that.......on my bike anyway :p

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Personal experience? or heard of other beating their bikes...

I've done it on my K75 a few times. It works, but it's far from a smooth shift, and it's got to be doing some violence to the transmission's shift dogs.

Given that the BMW has an overbuilt transmission and half the horsepower of the FZ6, I'd recommend that you try it on your FZ6 and get back to me with the results before I try it on my FZ6.

Fred