Rotella $11.50/gal at Wal-Mart

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It has to be one of the API symbols. See pic attached. Most Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO) do not contain friction modifiers, as fuel economy is not the foremost concern. And yes the new Rotella T Syn 5w-50 meets the JASO MA spec due to lower ash content. I would not get too hung up on oil ratings, go by real world results, and many members here have used Rotella T products with great results. The more important thing is to pick a viscosity that suits your climate and riding style.

There are so many brands of oils that will work satisfactorily, that it comes down to personal preference. If you have been happy using Mobil 1 in the past, there is no reason to not continue using it. Same with Rotella, Amsoil, Motul, Repsol, Yamalube, Castrol, etc. Modern oils are good, so use what makes you feel comfortable.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
you'll find people that will say yes. i will say that i think it's best to find something you like and stick with it. but if you try a synthetic and don't like it i don't think you're stuck. just drain the oil and change it out.

for your reading pleasure this is a massive monster of an oil thread in the garage section (i think) that has some good info in it. the only bad thing is that someone (or someones) over time put every oil thread together in that one. so you are reading one thread and then right in the middle of it another thread on oil pops up. it's incredibly annoying. but if you can deal with it you can get some pretty good info out of it.

personally, with the reading i did i've chosen rotella t synthetic. i have close to 3000 miles using it and it runs great. who knows. maybe in 10000 miles it'll blow up. but for now it's working just fine.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, If you go with one of these synthetics do you need to stay with it?

No, you 100% do not have to stay with syn once you switch. This is an old rumor that started in the early 1970's and never really was true. You can switch back and forth every oil change if you wanted too, and nothing would happen.:Flash: