Rode Today - I Live in Michigan!

Doug

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it was good for the bike, but it sure was good for me!

I noticed the roads were dry so I got it plenty hot and went around the block a couple of times. It was a 2 mile ride in 1st and 2nd gears up to 40 mph in 34 degree weather.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com

I noticed the roads were dry so I got it plenty hot and went around the block a couple of times. It was a 2 mile ride in 1st and 2nd gears up to 40 mph in 34 degree weather.

Good job mate. I took my vulcan out for about an hour to shake the cobwebs off her since shes a bit older than the FZ. Coughed a bit at startup but ran like a champ as always. Was about 40-42 here today. Pretty nice. :rockon:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
more power to you dude. I live in central indiana and the weather here has been blah lately, cold and cloudy. I saw some dude on a shiny new cruiser today with an open face helmet. Looked like friggin rudolph. I laughed as i'm sure he was hit with a lot of broken asphalt and nice salty spray. My bike is in until the roads really clear of asphalt chards and sand. I have a long wait.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i was at work. and the bikes where at home in there barn, not out on these salt covered roads. besides where i am in the country there is still some snow/ice on the roads.

does sound like fun for a couple of miles.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 40 degree and sunny rule.. so yes, I went out riding today as well. Same weather for me as S.D Willie. Logged about 80 miles.. Roads were clear and dry. A good day!

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a beautiful sunset about 90 minutes ago riding along Pacific Coast Highway through Laguna Beach CA, about 65°F.

Sorry, just have to try and justify living in the suburban Hell that is So.Cal...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm an hour N.E. of Perth. It's going to be 43'C here today - too hot to ride. :BLAA:

Might stay in with the air-conditioning and watch the cricket :D

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have a 40 degree and sunny rule.. so yes, I went out riding today as well. Same weather for me as S.D Willie. Logged about 80 miles.. Roads were clear and dry. A good day!

Yeah would like to get out tomorrow for a bit too but it looks like it might rain on us.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a beautiful sunset about 90 minutes ago riding along Pacific Coast Highway through Laguna Beach CA, about 65°F.

Sorry, just have to try and justify living in the suburban Hell that is So.Cal...

Show off :BLAA: I rode along PCH as well but in Malibu this afternoon, it was about the same temperature, maybe a bit cooler :D:popcorn:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm sure the bike was fine. I do 20F (at night) routinely if the roads are dry.
34F is actually nice -- esp. if the sun is out.

Yesterday was about 45F and sunny -- did about 100 miles -- man it felt good.

I have heated jacket/gloves so the cold temps are not that tough to deal with; without it, cold weather is just plain unpleasant. Yesterday's issues were limited to the frost heaves on the back roads.

Dennis

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It hit 50 here in Maryland this weekend, which was awesome considering it's barely broken freezing for what feels like an eternity. First time the fizz wasn't too excited about starting up after sitting for a few weeks in the cold. But she fired up and we had a hell of a weekend together. I rode out to the place where I bought her from and sat on an R1, R6, and some GXRs. Gotta say I have little interest in riding those things around, made me love the fizz that much more. I understand now how people complain of neck and wrist pain on those. Must take a hell of a lot of getting used to, but it was fun to check them out. That 2009 black R1 is a beautiful beast, though. No FZ6s in there anymore but there were a few FZ6Rs. First time I had seen one up close. I pulled the clutch on one and man did it feel better than mine. I wandered over to the parts dept. and bought a can of Dri Slide that has that long needle on the end of it for lubing the cables. It's amazing. I decided to give the clutch and throttle cables a good lubin'. No disassembly of anything except just taking the bottom plate of the throttle housing off. Just stick that needle down there and give it a few good squeezes... it's great. I also took off the front sprocket cover and cleaned it out in there. In almost two years I had never done it. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad in there, but what little goo was in there was some nasty stuff. Not using that toothbrush again. On the ride afterwards I could definitely tell the clutch felt a lot smoother, but not quite what I felt on the 6R, but I'm attributing most of that to the cold that might be making it stiffer than what it would be if it were sitting in a heated dealership.

Anyway, point is, it was a good weekend indeed ;)

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
All thanks to Doug. Read his post this morning and it put me in the mood to get out. The sun was shining and the roads fairly dry this morning,{we've had snow for nearly 3 weeks} so put another coat of polish on the bike and then headed out. Temp was about 5/6 degree's. Was a bit nippy at the finger tips ,but had the biggest smile on my my face. Invited a couple of mates,but they chickened out. Covered about 60 mile.Can't wait for the real good weather, to do some serious miles..:rockon:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the first sunny weather for weeks here and 5 degrees (about 40F) so I went out for a blast of around 50 miles. The bike started first time; it lives outside under a cover, and sat for 3 weeks in the snow, but no problems starting. Just lots of white smoke at first.

Roads were still quite wet and a bit of mud around, so I took it easy, but wound it up a bit on the clear stretches. There's a national speed limit road (60mph) I ended up on, with a line of 12 cars stuck behind someone doing 40mph, so I got some nice overtakes in - 3 cars at once, then another couple, and finally a burst of acceleration and the road was clear ahead. It still amazes me how quick the FZ6 can take off in third... and the speeds you can get up to in just a few seconds.

I've discovered the rear shock is set to position 4, which feels pretty good (I'm 12 stone - 170lbs) so I'll leave it at that. Tyres I set to 34 front, 36 rear which is less squirly than before. They are Dunlop Qualifier RR, very grippy, but the rear has worn down fast in maybe 4000 miles. I'll need a new rear tyre for spring, and was thinking of getting the Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear for treadlife and leaving the RR on the front. I've read up a bit on using unmatched tyres, and the consensus, such as it is, seems to be that if you're going to do it, keep the stickier tyre on the front as that's less likely to break traction.

Anyway, it was great to be back riding again after a few weeks off. Roll on the spring.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you were able to get out on the bike today. It's not going to happen in my area of Northern Michigan. It got down into the low 20's last night, and there's lots of black ice on the roads from yesterdays melted snow.

I'll wait until late March before I even chance a ride.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not all of Ca is a toasty 65
I did a FJR ride yesterday, here is the temp when I got on the road
001.jpg

It seemed even colder when I was down near Sacramento on the valley fog
010.jpg

Much better once I rode back up into the foothills away from the fog
048.jpg

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how you can do that - ride down a snowy street with no gear on. I moved mine into the garage today from the drive - 20 metres or so, with no helmet on, and it just felt wrong.