RoboBrackets-Madstad Windshield Report

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the Cee Bailey windscreen was an improvement over the stock FZ6 screen I was never totally satisfied. Just too much wind noise. The Madstad brackets in combination with a Parabellum windscreen did wonders for my 650 V-Strom so I ordered the do it yourself Madstad brackets and their 20 inch Spyder windscreen for the FZ6.

Installing the brackets entailed drilling 4 holes in the stock screen. A paper template was included in the kit as well as a drill bit designed for plastic. I had to bend the brackets slightly so things lined up for the pre-drilled Spyder shield.

The Madstad system allows for a wide range of screen adjustments. I've set the screen to its lowest position and full forward. This set up works perfectly for me - great coverage and quiet. At highway speeds I can ride with my helmet screen fliped up, no bugs in the face.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... maybe it's a spruiser bike :D.

Either way, I think if you look at it long enough, it doesn't look too bad. I'd use it for long trips or if I just want a change. Extra wind protection is always welcome on long highway trips.

I've seen the BMW sport tourers with big windshields and they don't look so sporty either but I think that's how they come out of the box.

Dennis

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

It might be good for windnoise but it just doesn't look right. It's a sport bike not a touring/cruiser one.

Just my opinion.

Asfalt uscat

Nice thing about the FZ6, it can be what you want it to be - a not so bad sport bike or an exceptional sport tourer. In sport touring mode it retains most of its sport bike qualities but with the light weight and handling that the big sport tourers can't match.

I found the FZ6 to be a better sport tourer than my late R1100RS. Except for the wind protection I preferred it to the BMW; thankfully the Madstad has addressed the wind noise/protection issue.

Highly recommend the Madstad system for anyone wanting to improve the sport touring ability of their FZ6. Add some lowered pegs and bar back risers and you got yourself a sport tourer that's hard to beat.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
As one who has been searching for that no-wind-noise nirvana, I'm definitely intrigued. I currently have a conglomeration of CalSci's largest screen w/ a laminar lip at the top. Yours certainly looks no worse than that ...

How difficult would it be to detach the Madstad portion (leaving the stock shield w/ the four extra holes)? It'd be nice to have the option of switching between the two. Would be even better if I could install the Madstad onto a cut down stock screen to have the best of both worlds (windy/non-windy).

Also, can you tell me how tall you are? (I'm 6'0") Do you end up looking through or over the windshield extension?

Last edited:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
As one who has been searching for that no-wind-noise nirvana, I'm definitely intrigued. I currently have a conglomeration of CalSci's largest screen w/ a laminar lip at the top. Yours certainly looks no worse than that ...

How difficult would it be to detach the Madstad portion (leaving the stock shield w/ the four extra holes)? It'd be nice to have the option of switching between the two. Would be even better if I could install the Madstad onto a cut down stock screen to have the best of both worlds (windy/non-windy).

Also, can you tell me how tall you are? (I'm 6'0") Do you end up looking through or over the windshield extension?

You could remove the top shield and brackets in five minutes.

I'm 5'9" and in the lowest position I am looking over the windshield extension.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Willard...I've read this thread a few times and I like your description,
but while I claim to prefer function over looks, I've had a hard time coming to
accept the looks of that bracket assembly, starting to come around though

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Willard...I've read this thread a few times and I like your description,
but while I claim to prefer function over looks, I've had a hard time coming to
accept the looks of that bracket assembly, starting to come around though

Just takes one ride to get over the looks.:D

dfroese3

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the website too, and am intrigued! One question though...since there isn't a mount specified for the FZ6, did you just get the one for the FZ1 ?

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you officially have the most "comfort" mods out of anyone on the forum... hehe
No offense. but arnt you taking all the *little* joys out of owning a bike. If you have a big wind screen, and hand guards, and warmers and all taht jazz. At some point dont you just have a motor home on 2 wheels? Getting some wind noise, and getting your fingers cold, and eating bugs, and getting cramped wrists, and getting lost, and leaning over too far, too long are the reasons I bought a bike. If i wanted to be comfortable the entire time, i would have purchased a mini van.
Maybe its just me, but the things that are most annoying about my bike, are probably the things that deep down i love the most. ;)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
to each his own...I see that list on your bike and to me it's all crap
that had money wasted on it, most of it in the name of vanity,
the FZ6 runs great stock, plenty of usable power everywhere,
I'm the same as Willard, looking for comfort

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the website too, and am intrigued! One question though...since there isn't a mount specified for the FZ6, did you just get the one for the FZ1 ?

I think I ordered the first RoboBrackets for an FZ6. I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Mark Stadnyk at Madstad who explained that the Do It Yourself kit would work with the FZ6. If you are planning on ordering suggest you contact Madstad and let them know its for the FZ6.

The quality of the windshield itself if excellent. I had to bend the brackets a little so that the pre drilled holes on the shield matched up.

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you officially have the most "comfort" mods out of anyone on the forum... hehe
No offense. but arnt you taking all the *little* joys out of owning a bike. If you have a big wind screen, and hand guards, and warmers and all taht jazz. At some point dont you just have a motor home on 2 wheels? Getting some wind noise, and getting your fingers cold, and eating bugs, and getting cramped wrists, and getting lost, and leaning over too far, too long are the reasons I bought a bike. If i wanted to be comfortable the entire time, i would have purchased a mini van.
Maybe its just me, but the things that are most annoying about my bike, are probably the things that deep down i love the most. ;)

Comfort is important to me. I do a fair bit of touring with a lot of long days in the saddle. If anything the comfort mods have added to my enjoyment and have not diminished my fun factor.

Most people would not consider a FZ6 a motor home on 2 wheels. They might if you added a Russell Day Long Saddle.:D