Rizoma Handle bars

premsomu

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the black Rizoma 22mm handle bars. PJs rock. Shipping was ultra fast (2 days to east coast).
Anyway, a couple of questions to those who have installed this bar (from reading the earlier posts, I know a lot of you have done it), what should I look for, specific to these bars.
a. Do I need to drill a hole on the throttle side like the FZ1 bar (any tips on coming up with the correct spot is much appreciated)
b. Can I use the stock bar ends on this bar.

Thanks
Prem

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a. Do I need to drill a hole on the throttle side like the FZ1 bar (any tips on coming up with the correct spot is much appreciated)

I highly recommend grinding off the plastic knob on the throttle side control, instead of drilling the bar. There's no guess work this way. You'll be free to adjust the control up and down as well as in and out and it will never move on the bar, if you torque it down properly

Nope. The only way to do that is to tap the bar, which isn't recommended by most. HVMP with custom hardware is the way to go if you want to minimize the vibration.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
You can either drill the new hole or shave off the tabs. I drilled them myself, thought it would look cleaner. In order to find the placement of the hole, I covered the little tab in white chalk and placed it where I wanted it on the bar and it marked a little white dot, and then drilled. Easy to do.

I don't know about the stock bar ends as I went with rizomas.

premsomu

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Erci and Shinn.

Using chalk is a neat trick. I'll try that.

So, I guess I have no other choice but to bite the bullet and buy the Rizoma bar ends.
Shinn, can you tell me which model Rizoma bar ends do you have. Do you notice any reduction in vibration.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I guess I have no other choice but to bite the bullet and buy the Rizoma bar ends.
Shinn, can you tell me which model Rizoma bar ends do you have. Do you notice any reduction in vibration.

You DO have a choice, as I stated: Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations

Rizoma bar ends look great, but do nothing to reduce vibration (they're light weight). HVMPs are heavy and reduce vibration substantially.
Here's how I mounted them: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-...-weights-aftermarket-aluminum-handlebars.html

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have to disagree with Erci on the rizoma's not lessening vibration. I found the whole set up I went with (handlebar, grips and bar ends) greatly reduced vibration. I have the MA506 bar ends, and I love em. Once I had them installed and tightened, vibration was significantly less.

premsomu

Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have to disagree with Erci on the rizoma's not lessening vibration. I found the whole set up I went with (handlebar, grips and bar ends) greatly reduced vibration. I have the MA506 bar ends, and I love em. Once I had them installed and tightened, vibration was significantly less.

So you have these? PJs Parts

You are the first person I've heard this from. In fact, I've seen aluminum bar ends listed with a note stating something like "these do NOT reduce vibration". Very cool if it's working like that for you though. Anyone else wanna chime in on these?

BlueRider461

Reaction score
Visit site
I put on a pair of Rizomas a few weeks ago with the Rizoma bar ends and love the way they look but did notice a huge increase in vibration from my previous setup with just the FZ1 bar and stock bar ends. I did put a pair of grip puppies on but still feel a huge buzzzz through the throttle. I ordered a bar snake last week but got the wrong size so waiting on the return with the proper size to see if that eliminates the vibe.

Any other suggestions... I will let you know how the bar snake works.

gnorth75

Reaction score
Visit site

I highly recommend grinding off the plastic knob on the throttle side control, instead of drilling the bar. There's no guess work this way. You'll be free to adjust the control up and down as well as in and out and it will never move on the bar, if you torque it down properly

Nope. The only way to do that is to tap the bar, which isn't recommended by most. HVMP with custom hardware is the way to go if you want to minimize the vibration.

I know this is an old thread, but its relevant to my current issue. I did as Erci suggested and removed the plastic tab. However regardless of how tightly I tourque the housing onto the bar, I can still move it somewhat easily. Has anyone else run across this issue after removing that tab? How did you correct it?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but its relevant to my current issue. I did as Erci suggested and removed the plastic tab. However regardless of how tightly I tourque the housing onto the bar, I can still move it somewhat easily. Has anyone else run across this issue after removing that tab? How did you correct it?

I just put on fz1 bars and ground off the nub on the throttle housing.....my housing use to shift fwd and back a little, turns out I was missing one of 3 screws that hold the housing together:eek:. Might want to check that.

P.S.
Mine does not move at all unless I loosen the screws.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I had that issue. I just used some black electrical tape placed in such a way that it was all underneath the housings. One or two wraps will do. They haven't moved since. I mean, if you crank on the housing they will, but normal riding they won't.

As for buzzing, I barely rode it with the stock bars so I can't comment. It is really buzzy around 79-91mph in 6th. It'll put my hands to sleep. But unless most of the traffic is doing 76, I'm not going that fast. And a cramp buster fixes that anyway. Besides, it makes you not be sloppy with the throttle.

gnorth75

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put on fz1 bars and ground off the nub on the throttle housing.....my housing use to shift fwd and back a little, turns out I was missing one of 3 screws that hold the housing together:eek:. Might want to check that.

All 3 are there, I was just working on it yesterday.

perhaps the rizoma bar is just a bit smaller in diameter that the stock or the fz1 bar...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

P.S.
Mine does not move at all unless I loosen the screws.

I have all mine, and without the tape it wouldn't stay on. Guess I just ground more of the nub off than you did? I ground mine flat.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have all mine, and without the tape it wouldn't stay on. Guess I just ground more of the nub off than you did? I ground mine flat.

Thats possible, I may have left the thickness of a wrap of tape remaining of the nub. Glad the tape worked out for you!:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't care for the Rizoma bar ends. They looked alright, but they were more awkward that they should be to mount in a rizoma bar. I ended up losing one while I was waiting on my mirrors to come in.

Now with the teeth the mirror mounts have, they're not moving for anything.