Riding Pants

I mow grass

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, I am about to purchase my first bike today and want to make sure I do it all right the first time. I have been searching and researching for riding pants that I could wear on my commute to work & other short distances. What I am looking for is something I could zip or slip on over my work pants for some extra protection. For my jacket I figured I would just go to a dealership/cycle shop and hopefully get a decent leather/textile one for hopefully less than $3-400. I am just kind of stuck on the pants, people have looked at me like I am crazy when I ask them about some protection to wear over my existing pants. Any input y'all have will be greatly appreciated and, again thanks for all of the help y'all have provided so far.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a pair of Draggin Jeans and like them. They are reinforced with kevlar in the knees and butt area and actually look pretty decent too. Not sure where you work, but if jeans are cool than you coudl get away with wearing these all day.

Added bonus, they only cost around $120 which wont put a huge dent in your wallet.

I mow grass

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I can work in jeans but I usually have alot of wear and tear on them. I have been looking at the draggin jeans but I just don't know if I could afford to wear them everyday without having to change when I get to work.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly Draggin' Jeans are great, but the do not breath and as for working in them in the state of Tennessee....:eek:

I have a pair of Olympia Airglide Overpants....they fit very nicely over my jeans, are easy to get on/off, flow air nicely, and you can just roll them up to store while you're working.

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant/

^^That's the home page, you can do a search for a better price, good luck

cult67

Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle Gear has pretty big selection. If you have a store close by, you can try some on to get an idea of how they fit and what you like.

I picked up a pair for about $120 that has a liner in them. When I remove the liner they fit over a pair of jeans comfortably. They still fit well with just short on hot days.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly Draggin' Jeans are great, but the do not breath and as for working in them in the state of Tennessee....:eek:

I have a pair of Olympia Airglide Overpants....they fit very nicely over my jeans, are easy to get on/off, flow air nicely, and you can just roll them up to store while you're working.

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant/

^^That's the home page, you can do a search for a better price, good luck

I also wear these pants, and really like the mesh in Texas summers. Depending on the weather where you are, you could even wear these as your only pants and leave the jeans at work, or carry them with you and change into them when you get there so that you get even more air on your commute. When I tour with these, they are my only pants, when I'm going someplace that I'll be off the bike for a while, I wear shorts underneath them.

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I have these...

SEDICI Street Gear - Umbria Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Pants - Cycle Gear

I wear them as over pants, bought the size I normally wear in jeans and the fit over my jeans just fine. I roll them up and store them on top of my boots at work under a chair in our break room. The liner is also good if you're going to be using them in cold weather. I ride year round and had no problems this past winter with it was below 30*.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these:

Tourmaster Flex Pants

They have zippered panels that can come off to make them mesh pants, and come with a liner for colder months. They sell themselves as a pant for all riding seasons.

I have never actually used them as mesh pants -- I've been comfortable enough up to 100 degrees with just wearing shorts underneath them. I always wear them as overpants, either over shorts or jeans. In the really cold months, I have used the liner and thermal underwear together. They have worked excellent for me, I would highly recommend them, except ...

.. as MotorcycleGear states, they fit big. That is, they have to have enough room in them for a given waist size for the liner, and so when riding without the liner (which for me is all but anything below freezing), they don't fit snug and "sexy". They do fit adequately, however, and for an overpant I would almost prefer a little room to breathe (the outside doesn't seem to bunch up, though, so I don't think it would cause something to catch on in a crash).

So, if you aren't upset about having your pants fit like a trash bag :) these are good pants. Again, I really like them.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

Good that you are considering safety gear right up front. Since you're commuting and may have to wear other than jeans to work, you may consider a Kevlar over-pant that you can easily zip in and out of. Motoport sells such a pant. They are not cheap but if you're commuting everyday and can justify the safety against your skin they're that pants to get. They will outlast any pants you can buy period. They beat leather in a slide or mileage you will get from them so maybe they're actually cheaper?!

I wear the GP2 Kevlar on my desert summer rides but they are not the over-pant.

Wayne Boyer is the owner of the company and the nicest person to deal with. He will answer all your questions. :D

Ultra II Kevlar Pant | Kevlar Pants | Motoport | 102.530

1313022031_Ultra II Kevlar Pant Black POPLET.jpg

Last edited:

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased some Joe Rocket Textile pants that go over what you're wearing. They're called Alter Ego pants. They have lasted awhile and were even battle tested at one point.