Riding Jackets-Non leather

Hayden

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if of you guys have a preference/recommendation on riding jackets of the non-leather variety. I'm just not a leather jacket kind of guy. I understand the protection aspect and doubt that anything will be able to match the strength of leather but are there any other options that y'all know of, whether it be textile, waxed canvas/cotton, etc. that might be another viable option? Preferably with slots for pads as well.
Thanks guys!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wear a dainese gator evo jacket and trousers

it has a goretex layer, and a tough abrasion resistant outer layer, elbow and shoulder armour, and space for a chest and back protector (you can probably get one thrown in for free if you ask)

it's very comforatable, waterproof (3 year guarentee too + lifetime goretex), and can keep you nice and warm in winter with the inner liner

Last edited:

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear an alpinestars T-GP-Air Plus jacket.

I've never been down, but it's comfortable, breathable, has slots for chest and back armor (just comes with padding) and was about $200.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a tourmaster one. I think most of your skid protection is going to come from the armor in a mesh jacket.

That and my mesh jacket with the liners is warmer than my leather jacket with its liners. If only the liners for my mesh fit my leather jacket...

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe Rocket mesh, i think it's the 5.0 one. very warm with the liner and cool without it. I do want to get a leather one eventually

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally a well designed textile jacket will have reenforced materials at the shoulders and elbows with CE approved armor. Nothing beats trying on the jacket on in person. There are many textile jackets that have have a more dynamic riding range for weather conditions with superior zip vents and liners.

Here's an example of a pretty dynamic jacket. Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

My neighbor has a Cortech jacket that is hybrid textile mesh and leather at the shoulders and elbows...
Good hunting!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally a well designed textile jacket will have reenforced materials at the shoulders and elbows with CE approved armor. Nothing beats trying on the jacket on in person. There are many textile jackets that have have a more dynamic riding range for weather conditions with superior zip vents and liners.

Here's an example of a pretty dynamic jacket. Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

My neighbor has a Cortech jacket that is hybrid textile mesh and leather at the shoulders and elbows...
Good hunting!

Yep. My mesh with the wind/rain liner and the thermal liner has served me well. I have cold weather overpants, some thinsulate gloves, some kind of hood deal that goes under the helmet, and I throw thermals on with those liners and I've been down to 29F (-2C for the rest of the world) with that set up on my 45 minute highway ride to work. It sucks, but no frostbite. My hands are starting to sting, so that's the limit though.

Somedays, not having a car sucks...

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
for the summer time i wear the icon arc mesh jacket....it has leather in key areas during a crash and when its hot out it feels like im just wearing a t shirt w the jacket on

Hayden

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the responses guys. i decided to just go in and look at some jackets in person, and i'm glad i did! i went with an a-star, which actually ended being more comfortable on me than some of the other more expensive ones i tried on. but the best part was that i actually got the size right by trying it on. I'm 5'8" 160 lbs and needed a size large, which surprised me. i do have pretty broad shoulders but i could hardly even get the medium zipped. if i wouldnt have gone in person to try it on i would have been stuck with sending it back for another size

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Firstgear's Rush Mesh Jacket in Day Glow. So far it's been great on the hot days and the armor is CE certified. Size is right on for me too.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: