Rider Insurance !?!

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a notice in the mail from Rider Insurance (my insurance carrier) that my 2005 FZ6 has been "reclassified" as a Sport/High Performance bike, and "this change will affect your policy premium as well as your eligibility for certain discounts."

WTF !?!

Edit: I was just reading up on some other forums and rates are skyrocketing!!! This really sucks. From their website: Rider Insurance Policies & Forms

I can definitely see some of those as being sport/high performance but the FZ is usually considered a standard by most insurance companies. Problem is I don't have a car and so don't get multi-line discounts with any other carriers.

Last edited:
Kawasaki Versys a sports bike?! Think it's time to change insurers mate......

EDIT: And you've got to laugh at the "All Ducatis". Lol.

Do you think they've lumped the FZ6 in with the new 07 and, more likely, 09 over there? I think the "MT" tag over here is helping to separate the classes in insurance.

Last edited:
The people on the Ducati 1198 forums are whining about their bikes now being re-classified...

I did a little more digging and Rider switched under writers last year which maybe has something to do with it.

I guess I will have to switch insurance now. Really stinks as with this reclassification besides my rates probably tripling I no longer get my 25% discount for being a safe rider nor will they cover any aftermarket or gear on the bikes which they did in the past up to $8,000.

Since the rates were so good I bumped up all my coverage and felt really good about it. Oh well...

So my full coverage went from $230/yr to $750/yr and it no longer covers $8000 in aftermarket parts or accessories like gear as it did previously.

Have you checked with Progressive? I have the upper hand sorta, being in the military and multi vehicles. I have not checked with them about a hike in rates tho, will do tomorrow.

Yes I received the same notice, I was paying Rider full coverage around $270 a year (not the greatest zip code) and once the renewal came in they asked for $1500 a year. kookoo. I called up Progressive (and also moved to a much better area 2 weeks ago) and they are charging me $130 for the whole year full coverage. Good luck!

700$ a year for me, full on FZ09. Of course 18 points will do that.

Before the "it's my fault rates are so high" rant begins, these are 99% automobe related :)

I got a quote from Progressive for less than Rider was. Any experience with Progressive? For about $20 more I can go with State Farm. Progressive wants $214 for the year and State Farm was 23something.

I have Progressive Auto and Motorcycle insurance and though I have never had to file a claim the rates are awesome and their website is the easiest insurance site to manage your policies of any.

I pay $12.70/month to insure my FZ6 full coverage with $250 deductibles on Comp and Collision. I really can't complain and doubt I can do better. Being over 30, married homeowner with a perfect driving record helps.

I wonder if I should lower deductibles from 500 to 250. Does being a home owner give you a discount? I told them I wasnt because I dont live in the house I own.

I wonder if I should lower deductibles from 500 to 250. Does being a home owner give you a discount? I told them I wasnt because I dont live in the house I own.

Unless they insure the house you own, probably not but will defer to those more in the know. I haven't worked in the insurance world since 2003 and even then, I was in IT.

Time to shop around for a new insurance company!

I agree, plenty of insurance companies. I'm with Statefarm, and pay $140 for full coverage a year, plus I also padded my underinsured. But Statefarm does not cover gear except for your helmet.

I got a quote from Progressive for less than Rider was. Any experience with Progressive? For about $20 more I can go with State Farm. Progressive wants $214 for the year and State Farm was 23something.

Take a motorcycle safety course, your premiums will even be less since you would be eligible for extra discounts.

I'm paying $186 to Progressive for a year's worth on my FZ6 with upped medical and other additions, including equipment and roadside assistance. (Paying another $274 for my Tuono)

I've got Dairyland insurance with upped medical, roadside, and whatever else is thrown in there. I pay $90 a month. I'm 18 and couldn't get some to even consider insuring me because of age. Geico wanted $250 PER MONTH. Anybody know when I can expect it to be reasonable?

I've got Dairyland insurance with upped medical, roadside, and whatever else is thrown in there. I pay $90 a month. I'm 18 and couldn't get some to even consider insuring me because of age. Geico wanted $250 PER MONTH. Anybody know when I can expect it to be reasonable?

Wow, that's high. But you are 18. I know Statefarm goes by the engine size, they don't care if it's a cruiser, touring or sport bike. They don't offer medical for motorcycles.

Back