Review your helmet.

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi FZ6inNH,
Just adding my two cents... I bought a Shoei RF-1000 (color: Artifact TC-2) and so far, I am very satisfied. I did hesitate because I preferred the graphics on the Arai, but the fit was a lot more comfortable with the Shoei. Depends on your head shape.
Check the link:
Shoei 2008

My helmet is quiet and well ventilated. My first helmet (20 years ago) was a Simpson. I loved it, but I prefer the ventilation on my new Shoei.
Good luck !

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took me awhile to decide wheather Shoei or Arai will be good for me
After couple weeks try on different kind of helmet I decided to go with Arai
Two type of Arai came up to surface...RX7 or Quantum...
RX7 is awesome looking, light and nice ventilation compare to other arai helmet but Quantum 2 just fit me right with my head...
So at the end I decided to go with Quantum 2 and I love it.....
Fit my head like a glove...comfortable is priceless....:D

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 4000 miles on my Icon Mainframe and it's beginning to irritate me. Lots of low pitched wind noise, whistling, cheap feeling vents, it takes a lot of effort to replace the shield, seems heavy. Face shield never seems like it's really secure. I think the graphics might have even faded a little on me.

I really want to try out a Shark helmet, but I can't find them locally for sizing.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
2009 Arai RX-7 Corsair with the Nakano blue and red ninja stars :rockon: I have it in an XL cuz I got a serious melon and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Great aerodynamics and the built in chin spoiler mean no head wobble or major discomfort turning my head at 100+. Vents are awesome because I usually get super hot and sweaty in my riding jacket and all but with all the vents on the helmet I stay cool even when the temperature is up over a hundred. Plus the paint looks awesome....the only downside is the price, but I figure you only have one head so whats the earning potential for the rest of your life worth?

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3 lids in the house...

My 'main' lid is a HJC FG-15. Great vents, really even fit, light, and steadfastly refuses to fog up in any conditions. It is normally very quiet, but you can hear some wind noise at 100+... for the cash, it is a great buy, with the only downside being that it does present small pressure points in my cheekbones... but I think this is due to me liking tight lids rather than the lid itself.

My 'long distance' lid is a Shoei XR-800. Super comfortable, great vents, very nice helmet! Only problem is, is crushes my ears when I take it on and off, so only use it for long trips on the long with the lid left on!

3rd lid - AGV Valentino Rossi rep. Way too big for me as I bought it when I had long hair! Cheap and cheerful, and passengers seem to love it!

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Arai Quantums, I think an "e" and an "f". One black, one red. They fit my noggin once I put in thicker (40mm) cheek pads. I've got a round head, not particularly large.

I usually just ride with a clear screen and sunglasses. Only recently got a light smoke screen. I like it and can even ride at night with it. But I still will wear sunglasses during the day.

Fogging is only a slight issue. I rub the shield down with an anti-fog cloth on cold mornings and this will usually suffice. If it starts to fog, I can lift the shield ever so slightly and it'll clear. No biggie. The shield as a small tab that can be felt with gloved hands. This is also where the shield locks down.

The only vent that I can really tell when it's open is the chin vent. There are other, smaller vents on the top and at the forehead, but I have no idea if they actually make a difference for me. I leave them open always... Wind noise is not bad. I wear earplugs all the time.

Changing the screen is a little fiddly, but not a deal breaker. I've had the little plastic screen vent things fall off and break. Annoying. But usually repairable with a little superglue.

I'd give it an 8/10. Good solid helmet, I can dance to that...

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll comment on my Shoei Rf-1000. I got the matte black in large off an ebay store (salesggi) in Apr of this year. I got it for about 275. I've used it for a couple 250 mile road trips, some weekend rides and commuting. Overall I'm very happy with this helmet. I got to try one on in the store before buying, so I got the exact right fit. The helmet is leaps and bounds more comfortable and quiet than my Fulmer D4. Wind turbulence is also decreased when wearing it. Overall I'd give it a 4.5. The only thing I wish it had is the lever that slightly cracks the shield like the scorpion exo1000 has. And also wish it had removable pads.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I had a HJC CL-15 Pegasus ($189) that was stolen off my bike. It was a nice helmet, pretty heavy though, and the airvent clips broke off very easily. The visor also had a habit of unhooking itself, even with a new visor. The quickchange mechanism seemed faulty. The visor fogged up alot, and rain found it's way inside the visor everytime, and since the visor sealed very well, this created problems when the visor was misted up on the inside. Had to stop to wipe it off.

I bought a Fulmer S1 for $132 because it was a quick fix and I don't have alot of spare cash. To directly compare them, the Fulmer is ALOT lighter, and has a great deal of airflow. The visor does not seal very well, it doesn't have a locking pin. This makes it considerably louder though. Loud enough that riding w/o earplugs is painful. But it also makes the rain flow off the inside of the visor easier and doesn't fog up as bad as the HJC did. After breaking in it's comfortable enough. After 2 weeks the button that you use to secure the excess chinstrap after you put it through the d-links tore off. It was poorly sewn on.

Which helmet is better? I think the HJC is probably a bit better, but I've gotten pretty used to the Fulmer. I don't think I'll be buying another Fulmer helmet though.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Sparx Retro Corsa Helmet:

Noise: just as much noise as my $270 HJC hemlet

Weight: way lighter than my HJC

Aerodynamics: i don't feel like my head is going to rip off anymore, and I can look side to side without my HJC wanting to decapitate me...so awesome

Comfort: it definately runs smaller. The medium is a perfect tight fit while my medium HJC is actually slightly too large for me

Venting: very very adequate venting and no fogging this morning on the way to work in the cold (haha in CA it's not THAT cold)

Graphics: right on, seems great, and I loved the scheme of the retro race one i have!

Visor: not as much of a pain in the ass as webBikeWorld says. Easy to lift up and down, and easy to use the vents while wearing my gloves. I love how well it seals (better than my HJC) for high speed riding!

Misc: the ear area IS large, and probably could fit headphones fitted inside of it. There's no way I'd get earbuds in while putting it on though. The tapered neck provides a nice squeeze to get into the helmet, but once it's on...it's ON and I prefer that. Sunglasses are a no no in the helmet. The tight fit didn't allow for sunglasses, but for a daytime run, get the smoke shield and you'll be fine (to be purchased at next paycheck since my model helmet didn't come with the smoke shield).

all in all: My $80 (sale price) Sparx helmet is a better helmet than my $270 HJC helmet and I would recommend it to anyone searching for a budget helmet.

Last edited:

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Spark Retro Corsa Helmet:

Noise: just as much noise as my $270 HJC hemlet

Weight: way lighter than my HJC

Aerodynamics: i don't feel like my head is going to rip off anymore, and I can look side to side without my HJC wanting to decapitate me...so awesome

Comfort: it definately runs smaller. The medium is a perfect tight fit while my medium HJC is actually slightly too large for me

Venting: very very adequate venting and no fogging this morning on the way to work in the cold (haha in CA it's not THAT cold)

Graphics: right on, seems great, and I loved the scheme of the retro race one i have!

Visor: not as much of a pain in the ass as webBikeWorld says. Easy to lift up and down, and easy to use the vents while wearing my gloves. I love how well it seals (better than my HJC) for high speed riding!

Misc: the ear area IS large, and probably could fit headphones fitted inside of it. There's no way I'd get earbuds in while putting it on though. The tapered neck provides a nice squeeze to get into the helmet, but once it's on...it's ON and I prefer that. Sunglasses are a no no in the helmet. The tight fit didn't allow for sunglasses, but for a daytime run, get the smoke shield and you'll be fine (to be purchased at next paycheck since my model helmet didn't come with the smoke shield).

all in all: My $80 (sale price) Sparx helmet is a better helmet than my $270 HJC helmet and I would recommend it to anyone searching for a budget helmet.

Sounds like a good deal! Where did you get it?

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it at LA Yamaha (on Lincoln Boulevard). THe dealer I got my bike from. Normally the helmet is $139 or $129...they had a blowout sale.

I was really confused bc I couldn't find this on the web anywhere... The actual brand is SPARX not SPARK... and yeah they run at around that price on the web stores...

wayne 3

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a bombadier modular helmet, made by brp, its awesome, i bought it for snowmobiling because it has a breath mask that vents directly outside so there is never any fogging. its a great cold weather helmet. during the summer i take the mask out and use it as a regular helmet. it also has a smoked lens that can slide up or down depending on it its sunny or not. no more sun glasses. it can be a little warm on the really hot days but all i do is crack the visor a notch and it lets in all the air i need. awesome helmet! i would recommend it to anyone who drives in colder weather and hates fogging!

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Jarro (Now Caberg) I had to retire that helmet after a spill so I got another Caberg. Too much pad around the ears would make them hurt from my glasses. It was also heavy.

Now I have an HJC SyMax II. I like modular helmets with internal sun visors as I wear glasses. This helmet has much more ventilation, is much lighter and comfortable. Slightly tight on the cheeks. It can be a bit more turbulent with my stock shield, but I rarely use it over my touring shield.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
i have a bombadier modular helmet, made by brp, its awesome, i bought it for snowmobiling because it has a breath mask that vents directly outside so there is never any fogging. its a great cold weather helmet. during the summer i take the mask out and use it as a regular helmet. it also has a smoked lens that can slide up or down depending on it its sunny or not. no more sun glasses. it can be a little warm on the really hot days but all i do is crack the visor a notch and it lets in all the air i need. awesome helmet! i would recommend it to anyone who drives in colder weather and hates fogging!

So it's a snowboarding helmet? Is it DOT approved or ECE approved? just curious unless I misunderstood what you're wearing...