Requesting info from California folks

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for information in and around San Bernardino. My college teen is wanting to move there.:confused: Being the Mom I'm concerned about the move, she will be on her own....completely.... Her Brother and his wife just arrived in 29 Palms (still a good distance away) so they will be the only resource she has. Now the questions: What is working situation like there? Will she be able to find a part-time job to survive on? Is there safe housing reasonably priced for a college student? She receives VA money monthly to help pay some expenses. I'm limited since my hubby passed and won't be able to help with much. I've researched a little but would appreciate info from anyone living there.
Thanks
Tami

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I don't live there, but I had a gf whose parents lived there. It's hot as hell there! But supposedly you get used to it.

Her sister still lives there and is gainfully employed even after some "incidents" with cops. So if your daughter is a good citizen, I guess there would be lots of jobs available.

For safe housing, yea, it seemed safe...her sis had a nice apt and roommate. I think she needs to just find the right apt :)

sorry that's all I got for ya...I've only visited about 6 times...too hot for me...

J

jsteinb95

Like all areas, there are good and bad parts. I'm not sure about work, but IMO, I would never live there. The weather is fine, but there are some really bad neighborhoods and that's why it is nicknamed "San Bernarghetto." I think the "bad" neighborhoods outweigh the "good."

There is a college in 29 Palms, why doesn't she just stay there? OR there is College of the Desert in Palm Desert.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
She is in a private college, ITT Tech, they don"t have a campus any closer to 29 Palms, and she doesn't want to change to a traditional school. Thanks for all input, I'm checking link for crime rate now....

S

sportrider

I would look at moving more towards Redlands or Loma Linda(on the south side) San ber-do is kind of a S-hole, lotta crime, gangs, drugs. not the kind of place I'd want my anyone to move. I had a friend that lived there for about a year. his house got broke into three times and his car was stolen. and he was a big 300lb 6' 4" monster, I hate to think what would've happened to him if he was a she.

Redlands has a college comunitee people rent out rooms there are some affordable places but they are hard to find, stay away from the north end of old redlands, thats the "poor" side of town and the bad area, but even the bad area in Redlands is better than San Bernardino!!!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sportrider and JSteinb have already said what I would have said. I grew up in Ontario and only went to SB when I had to, which was about once a week to pick up tires when I worked for Goodyear. My impression was that it was run down, dirty, and crime ridden.

I don't know anything about the job situation; it would depend at least partially on her skills and the local industry.

Last edited:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with sportrider san berdoo is a dump. I live on the south side of redlands and would recommend it. If she finds a area ask me or sportrider if it is ok. But stay away from san berdoo and highland.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. When I talked to someone @ the school they lived in Redlands and said the area the school was in was 'OK', kinda sent up some flags about San Bern. for me. She wanted to move Sept. but I told her that wasn't going to happen, we still have to get her a better car. Move will probably be in Nov. at her semester break. Her brother doesn't have to report for duty until 8/31 so he told her he'll go check it out a bit after he's moved into his house. I so appreciate the help for my forum 'friends' ! :rockon:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for information in and around San Bernardino. My college teen is wanting to move there.:confused: Being the Mom I'm concerned about the move, she will be on her own....completely.... Her Brother and his wife just arrived in 29 Palms (still a good distance away) so they will be the only resource she has. Now the questions: What is working situation like there? Will she be able to find a part-time job to survive on? Is there safe housing reasonably priced for a college student? She receives VA money monthly to help pay some expenses. I'm limited since my hubby passed and won't be able to help with much. I've researched a little but would appreciate info from anyone living there.
Thanks
Tami

Hey MarineMom, Im 19 and I just moved by myself from St Louis to San Diego. I have family that owns apartments so I got 2 months free rent. I saved up as much money as I could this summer and headed out. My mom was the same way. Super concerned. I drove the whole way with only 30 min of sleep inbetween.

As far as jobs go, im not sure. Down here I wrote and perfected my resume. I gave it to about 10 jobs in the past 2 days. No word yet.