Replacing clutch cable (TIP)

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Well i had my clutch cable snap (after 30000k) on my 2008 FZ6N earlier this week and i replaced it last night and wanted to share some tips for those who may be planning on doing the same.

In a nutshell it was a breeze - took less than 25 mins from start to end.

Now firstly, i only had to partially remove the fuel tank (leaving hoses on but unplugging fuel level leads)
In this forum you will read about people telling you to take the airbox and battery out. Dont bother - with a little trick you dont need to.

Once you have removed the old cable feed the new cable in from the bottom/engine end from right to the left side of the bike (under the fuel rail loom). This is what i didnt do which made manoeuvring the metal curved bit tricky.

Now get the top end (which is smoother) of the OLD cable and feed this through the hole in the frame so it pokes up inside the frame (right next to the airbox - there is a tight gap but big enough to slip the cable through). Now get some tape and tightly bind the top end of the NEW cable to this so that you can easily thread the new cable out through the hole in the frame and up to the lever.
Also, in case you havent done this already, route the cable up through the hole to the left of the ignition. This will stop the cable from obscuring your ignition (as this was a major flaw with the desigh of the N model)

I didnt take any pics as it was all completed so quiclkly

Happy to field any questions you may have

Heath 8)

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez, why didn't you post this 2-3 hours ago when I was changing my clutch cable? Mine was hanging on by 2 strands! :eek: But I got it done.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I forget how I did mine, but I really don't remember it being that difficult. I did remove the fuel tank and air box though. Don't think it took me more than 45 minutes start to finish.

One tip that I will add though, adjust the cable at the secondary adjuster underneath the air box so the barrel adjuster at the lever is almost fully in. This way, when the cable stretches (and it will), you can adjust it at the barrel adjuster without having it all the way out.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh i agree - it was easy. The reason why i posted this is i saw elsewhere in this forum that others had taken the entire airbox and battery out (coz they thought they had to)

i am just a lazy sod

:)

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my air box and battery out, really not a big deal, and gives you much better access to the cable. Sometimes a bit more work, saves you extra work