Replace Thermostat?

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

So this weekend or next, I'd like to flush my coolant (and other 8000 miles stuff). I don't know for sure but I doubt it's ever been done. Do you think the thermostat is something worth replacing while I'm in there? It appears to be anywhere between 10 and 25 dollars. I didn't replace my cars thermostat until like 90,000 miles or something, but I dunno.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hello all,

So this weekend or next, I'd like to flush my coolant (and other 8000 miles stuff). I don't know for sure but I doubt it's ever been done. Do you think the thermostat is something worth replacing while I'm in there? It appears to be anywhere between 10 and 25 dollars. I didn't replace my cars thermostat until like 90,000 miles or something, but I dunno.

I wouldn't bother, unless there was strong evidence of overheating, or some cooling system malfunction.... but I would take a very, very good look at the electric fans to make sure no pebbles are trapped between the blades and the backside of the radiator.

This was a 'feature' introduced with the re-design starting with the '07 models..

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking lately.

And noted, in fact just the other day I spun my fan manually and it barely spun... And then a stone fell out...?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on leaving it alone unless its acting up.

I made a shield out of 1/16" aluminum to keeps rocks out the area mentioned (see below pic's). You could probably put some A/C silver tape across the bottom of the radiator and the fan to do the same thing, 4-5" should do it.

You may want to test the fan to make sure it didn't get fried at some point (just hot wire it to a 12 volt source)

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking lately.

And noted, in fact just the other day I spun my fan manually and it barely spun... And then a stone fell out...?

Like Townsend said, you now need to make sure your cooling fan will operate when needed. If a pebble was jammed in there, it probably burned out the fan motor. Seattle temps are so cool compared to other parts of the country, you rarely need the fan.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
YES! I had this happen to me within the first month of owning her new. I was so annoyed. Yamaha dealer claimed it was my fault, despite other owners having an updated fan (with shroud) installed for free when they had the same issue

Long story short - rock jammed fans - fans burned out when they went to start up - bike overheats

Run your bike up to 100c and check if fan comes on. It should run until it drops back down to around 90c