Repair Fairing, go naked, or mod to S2?

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I wrecked my baby Saturday night, and while I heal up, I need to decide how to fix it. Most of the front plastic was shattered.

Options:

1) Repair S1: Maintains the look, simple, possibly the most expensive (new cowling, new visors, new interior panels, possibly headlights but not sure)

2) Go nekkid: I love the way these look, but I'm afraid I would miss the wind protection on a 40 mile slab commute or on long trips. Need to find a good kit if I go this route, or advice from someone who did it recently.

3) S2 cowling?: Is it possible to swap the front to an S2? The dramatically easier windshield upgrades and better signal mounts would be nice.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of the fairing as yamaha intended it. to me when I see an Fz6 naked it screams of crash victim and lack of funds to repair. just my .02 and only my opinion. probably not a popular one

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of the fairing as yamaha intended it. to me when I see an Fz6 naked it screams of crash victim and lack of funds to repair. just my .02 and only my opinion. probably not a popular one

ha. they sold a naked version from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tallyho

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Can't seem to find a good kit to go naked. Unless your very resourceful with fabricating your own parts your forced into a poor fitting kit. I've pretty much decided to replace my stock fairing from babbits or ayers. Haven't heard of anybody converting to a s2. That might be interesting.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After finding a couple posts from naked owners wishing for a fairing on the highway, I've decided to just repair it. I'll be posting up in parts wanted if anyone has some S1 plastics to sell.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After finding a couple posts from naked owners wishing for a fairing on the highway, I've decided to just repair it. I'll be posting up in parts wanted if anyone has some S1 plastics to sell.
Amen to that, had a naked for 4 years and had enough of it LOL - to paraphrase a great man; "I am the (Night)Fairedrider, and I'm never going back!"

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how lost your front fairing is but mine had two large cracks and I thought it was donezo. I went and got some really nasty ABS plastic bonder. One can of prep (watch out this stuff is agressive, see paint remover) and one can of adhesive. Got it from lowes. Glued it together with a thick layer on back and wiped the front. Hardly noticeable and has lasted for 2 years! Seems very strong.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how lost your front fairing is but mine had two large cracks and I thought it was donezo. I went and got some really nasty ABS plastic bonder. One can of prep (watch out this stuff is agressive, see paint remover) and one can of adhesive. Got it from lowes. Glued it together with a thick layer on back and wiped the front. Hardly noticeable and has lasted for 2 years! Seems very strong.

It completely shattered the left half of the cowling. It would be toast even if I had all the pieces.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I also broke the lens on the left headlight. Is that going to require replacing the headlamp assembly?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
zixaq - I have looked for replacement lenses for the headlight but have never been able to find anything. a used headlight assembly in good condition will go for 75 to 150. I have bought one off this forum when I did an HID retrofit. If you have plans to go naked with the bike you would replace the headlight anyway. depends on what you will use the bike for most. I think it woujld be cool to ride a bike with no fairing for an hour or 2 but for long highway rides you will probably miss the wind protection given by the fairing and windscreen

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
The only times not having a fairing bothers me is when it's cold, or I happen to be going over 100, (which isn't very often).

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
hey man you're in SF? i'm in sacramento i'm 90% sure i still have my old headlight, you can have it for FREEEEEEE because my bike is naked for life

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
been riding a naked r1 for years and have no complaints until it hits above 120 which is almost never

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to have the entire front cowling (including headlights) replaced this summer after someone backed into my bike and it fell into a wall. Its not cheap. Thankfully the ladys insurance paid for everything. Came to well over $3000.00 tho. That's including a new strator cover too and rear grab bars.
After the tip over I wanted to go naked. Checked online and could only find those ebay kits and the VS02 kits. All of which have pretty bad reviews and I haven't heard from anyone that was able to get it to fit straight. Even my Yamaha dealer (who did the repairs) said Yamaha does not make any fz6n conversion kit, unfortunately.
So I just had everything replaced with brand new stock. Bike is very mint now! :)