Remote reservoirs - where did you put yours?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a Penske 8983 and it arrived today. I got it mounted, but there doesn't seem to be a good place to put the remote reservoir. The 90 degree fitting for the hose makes it such that it cannot go in the storage area under the seat, and unlike this Ohlins install (http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/at...-fazer-before-last-step-mono-ohlins-46hrc.jpg) I have the helmet lock in the way. The exhaust interferes with routing the reservoir to the rider's right side.

I ended up cutting two slots in the under seat plastic to route a hose clamp, and using one of the rubber isolators included in the kit, I was able to secure it under the storage area. However, this puts the adjuster on the reservoir right next to the frame. To keep it from touching, I used a second rubber isolator, but without a hose clamp. I have less confidence in this side, but at least the adjuster is not touching the frame.

Anyone have a more elegant solution?

ePfhcsX.jpg

BuvCCKP.jpg

GKSV9Cn.jpg

yVsDnkh.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That does not look like a safe place to put that!
I highly recommend either on the sub frame or under the seat.

Last edited:

mike_v

Reaction score
Visit site
When I installed my ohlin I ended up cutting off the lock. Another option is to contact the vendor and see if you can put on a different fitting and put it under the seat.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The shock did not move on the 20 mile ride I just took, so it's better than nothing. I agree it is not ideal. Feels great though!

I use my helmet lock almost every time I ride, so removing it is not an option for me.

I am going to contact the vendor if there are no other ideas here. I haven't seen anyone with an S2 and an external reservoir. Support has been good in pre-purchase and order tracking - we'll see if there's follow through after the delivery.

Lofty

Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna have a fun time with that if the chain ever goes.

Why would you even risk putting it there?

Relocating isn't an option? How not? Just buy a different fitting.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure a broken chain is fun for a lot of reasons regardless of whether you have a remote reservoir or not.

I personally exhausted my attempts to relocate it and I haven't found any other examples on an S2 which is why I asked here. Do you know how a forum works? Did you read my first post?

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you really need to relocate it. If I'm interpreting the last picture correctly, you just one good bump away from the rear tire ripping that reservoir off completely, or at best having a constant flow of road debris being flung at it. Penske can supply a different fitting, any local shop should be able to easily re-charge if needed when the fitting is replaced.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If you could get another quarter turn on the blue 90-degree fitting, is there enough flex in the hose to get the reservoir under the seat?
If not, I'd look for a straight fitting like was mentioned above.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw similar one on suziki 696,
Anyway, I heard the frame is shallow, is there any chance you can put there?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with the helmet locks since I don't have one, but could the helmet lock be moved to the right side of the bike so the reservoir can be attached to the subframe on the left side (as shown in your example picture)?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after another hour and a half of struggling with the bolt and pin to mount the shock, I found another place that it will NOT fit:

C0xHU7B.jpg

I rotated the shock so the hose faces forward and routed it to the rider's left side. There is not enough hose length to even get it to the helmet lock. It looked like a promising fit until I lowered the bike and the chain guard (which was removed during mounting) hit the reservoir.

The only way I can see this working is if the fitting is changed to a straight fitting so that it can fit under the seat.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
If removing the helmet lock allows you to fit the reservoir, you can ask a resident member here to make you another helmet lock to fit the right side of the frame thus freeing the left side frame to fit your reservoir.

The member goes by the name of Townie, Scotty or Townsendsomething :p (@TownsendsFJR1300). Just an option to consider.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
There's just not enough reach in the hose even if the helmet lock could be rerouted to the other side of the bike. The hose is very stiff and the fittings do not swivel.

I did find this other user who apparently has the same shock and was able to fit the reservoir under the seat, however it looks like he did some cutting. I did some as well, just not quite as much. I'm able to squeeze the reservoir in there, but the non-swiveling fittings and the stiff hose makes it difficult to mount the shock. I sent an email to the vendor and I will have another go at this tomorrow.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
That blue fitting has teflon tape on it, so it should be pipe threads - you should be able to tighten it another 1/4 turn or less, so the hose exits perpendicular to the shock. Then you could cut a notch in the undertray for the hose and put the reservoir under the seat.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
After cutting away a bit more of the storage tray and putting a little more twist on the blue fitting on the shock body, I was able to get the reservoir inside and secured.

rpGrpOj.jpg

I am still not a fan of how tight the radius is on the reservoir hose. I'll send Penske feedback on the FZ6 implementation since I'm sure this isn't a very popular platform.

NlLT1qZ.jpg

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I think you have a longer hose than I do. Do either of your fittings swivel?

I've been talking with my vendor about the install. He is going to forward my pictures to Penske tomorrow and see what they suggest. In his experience they have been pretty good about working with owners to get things done right. I'll update if there is any feedback.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I think you have a longer hose than I do. Do either of your fittings swivel?

I've been talking with my vendor about the install. He is going to forward my pictures to Penske tomorrow and see what they suggest. In his experience they have been pretty good about working with owners to get things done right. I'll update if there is any feedback.

They will, but you have to loosen the fitting. With that much pressure I didn't feel comfortable doing it. Something to remember; the hose is stiff because it's new(it will loosen up).

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am impressed with Penske's support so far. My vendor (Hordpower) passed my pictures and emails to them and I got an email from an engineer today. We talked for a few minutes about the routing and what options I could take. We think that the best place on the S2 is on the subframe on the rider's right, back behind the passenger footpeg mount. The location in the storage tray works, but he said he would prefer it to be more accessible for adjustment.

I'm going on vacation for a week, but when I get back I plan to pull the shock back out and do what I can to get some accurate measurements on how much hose I would need to locate the rear shock properly back there.

This is not as ideal as something with no installation issues, but it's reassuring to see that Penske seems pretty committed to getting things right.