reliablity of fz6 in Touring Mode?

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
As the thread states.. what do you think? i hear of all these long distance rides but how does it hold up on the long rides mechanically? I just hit 16k miles with no problems *Knock on wood* but want to take a big ride at some point in the next year. have started buying my gear now. or should i just save up and buy a bike built for this sort of thing?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have taken my FZ on many multi-day trips of 1500-3000 miles. Just lube the chain each day and it keeps going strong after 80K miles.

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned above, lube the chain. Also maintain proper tire pressure! The bike is super reliable and I trust it far from home more than my cage! I never worry about breaking down. As long as you maintain it properly you should have no worries.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
13,000km and three crashes in one trip. I think it does just fine. Taken it on multiple long range rides and each time it was just fine no issues at all. Just make sure to check for things coming loose periodically and that you have it up to par before you leave. Oil change at dealership or carry oil with you.

Then just clean and lube chain everyday while on the road.

Modern Japanese engine. Nothing to worry about.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
+++ on the above; just take a puncture repair kit with you in case the worst happens, engine wise there is nothing to worry about as long as it has been maintained properly over the years, the engine and the bike overall are very low maintenance. sometimes bolts get loose so take a look at the end of the trip and tighten any loose bolts, mainly fairing bolts and the large frame bolts that hold the engine in place

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the tire repair kit just in case. The longest multi-day trip I took was about 1,400 miles and the only thing I needed and didn't have was cable lube when the clutch cable started getting stiff after a few hours of riding in the rain the day before.

Make sure your tires have enough tread left for the miles you expect to see and bring the tools needed to tighten anything that might loosen up. I like to check my bike over on every fill up and this is especially important on long trips.

This little engine is a jewel. I have 17,000 miles on my 2006 and expect it to run well into the 50K or 60K mile range.

Have fun!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
dont worry about it! I have just shy of 24k on mine and would ride to California and back without hesitating. I try and lube my chain and stuff about every ~500 miles or after riding in the rain.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah as a rule of thumb my packing is somewhere in the ballpark 40% repair/maintenance stuffs, 40% clothes/bulk, and 20% electronic/suuplemental.

I haven't had to use most of it, but when you see something you want to explore and it takes you away from the highway, you don't want to be walking 90 miles because you can't pull off and straighten something or whatever the case may be.

If you're staying on the highway you can make do without half your garage with you, but some things are still really important to pack. Tire fixes, fuses, bulbs, JB weld, zip ties, gorilla tape, main wrenches, hammer (lol yup I seriously always take one with me ROFL), and some other stuffs I can't recall atm are my core kit with a secondary repair kit packed deeper in the bags where it's out of the way.

advrider forum has lots of good tips and write-ups

eg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688765

Also, QFT:

one man's survival kit is another man's unnecessary weight

But core kit is still important. Just be sure you know how to use BEFORE you leave. Lol

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Directly related to the maintenance made prior to your trip. Go over the bike very good do all your schedule maintenance If it's a long trip plan your oil change just before you leave. If you have doubt about your tire and chain start the trip with fresh stuff!

If your going to install new widget to your bike, do it few weeks before to put some miles on them... test them.

The whole lube the chain everyday... yes. Or around 500 miles witch ever come first. I did 1550 miles in 24 hrs. That was one day... and a set of sprocket and chain... got the whole picture. :( Lube every 3 gas tank or so... good rules of thumb!

Not necessary but I really dig the auxiliary lights for night riding. I use some $25.00 Autopart fog light. Worked well for about 30-45 minutes but it was too much draw for the charging system. So I had to keep track and shot them off every now and then. I will get a good set of proper bike one before the next big ride.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
6,800+ miles in june. I have a Scottoiler which takes the worry out of chain mainenance. I consider it money well spent.

I did loose a front wheel bearing on my trip. Took it to the dealer and $145 later I was ready to hit the road again. I also had a flat, but was able to fix it with my plug kit.

I have 44,300 miles on it and it runs like the day I purchased it. With proper maintenance you should have no troubles.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Still a good thread for some good info worth passing on to the OP.

But yeah, it is a sport-tourer and this is the touring subforum. There is a pretty good chance the bike is capable of touring. Lol

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have done several 1,200 mile rides and frequently hit 300 miles on a Saturday when I go to visit my mom. Always clean the bike carefully so it will look good! :) Part of the cleaning is to clean the chain well and then lube it well because on the trip won't have the stuff to clean it that well and sometimes just put lube on it. As suggested I always make sure my tires are good up the tire pressure for touring and do all the maintenance before I leave. Whenever I take any bolt loose I ALWAYS put it back with thread locker. My bike has 36,000 on it and I would take off on a 6,000 mile trip tomorrow, well maybe day after tomorrow as there are a few things I would check first. Only problem I've had is timing chain tensioners - on my third but part may be my paranoia but I swear it makes less noise after I replace the tensioner. Have gone to Red Line oil after using Rotella Synthetic for the first 30,000 miles. It does seem to make less noise particularly late in the oil cycle.

A great sport tourer with more than enough power and handles well. Only issue is carrying a lot of stuff with you - usually I carry a tank bag and a duffel bag on the back. Really don't want a big 700 or 800 pound . Like my FZ6

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
take a look at the trip reports section. people have done lots of long rides.

Yeah, you're in the correct area of the forum to read up on all the major road trips in which we have taken. The longer the trip, the better it runs. I suggest you get yourself a Throttlemeister though, or your throttle hand will get very sore.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine a bike being more reliable than my FZ6, it really is that solid.

When I go touring, I'll bring a can of chain lube, some zipties, a roll of electrical tape, Leatherman, tire patch kit and that's it. A credit card and AAA/CAA membership takes care of the rest. I'll lube the chain at the end of every day and that's about it, haven't had to do an oil change on the road yet.