Recommend me a chain pls

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
My chain is pretty rusty. My friends having a fix-it bbq this weekend. Would like to swap it out. What chain should I get and what tools will I need?

Also unrelated want one of those blinking brake lights if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle gear again has their chain breaker/riveter tool on sale again (39.99) and you can get one free if you spend 50 bucks in the store. I don't know what chain they carry but that would be inspiring to get a chain and your free chain tool! :rockon:

I just got the flyer in the mail! :)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Cycle Gear chain breaker. I bought it on sale and used it on my chain replacement. I posted a thread on replacing mine, I would tell you the thread but just spent two days at AMA :) and I'm too tired to search. I think the chain was a DID, not too hard to replace. Use the tool to punch out a pin then thread the new chain on, put the link on and flare the rivets in the link. Two hard parts - getting the ends of the chain together to put the link in - I used a moderate sized zip tie and the 2nd part was how big to flair the pins in the link. I used a micrometer to measure (engineer by training). Seems like I bought from Sprocket City or something like that. Thought about a 520 conversion kit but went with a 530. A quality 520 conversion would be lighter and would last almost as long IF you DO NOT go with an aluminum rear sprocket.

Hope this helps

regder

Reaction score
Visit site

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Just searched that Cycle Gear chain tool, looks to be about the same chinese MotionPro copy as I have. As I said, does the job, and I'm sure most shops stock them.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
DID 530VM is my chain of choice, I've bought two so far and will likely buy another when my current chain wears out.

As for a tool, I picked up a fake MotionPro chain tool from my local shop for about $20. Far from pro quality, but it's worked fine three times now. Pretty much this, MOTORCYCLE BIKE CHAIN BREAKER SPLITTER RIVETING TOOL HEAVY DUTY RIVET REPAIR SET | eBay

That chain seems to be in gold only. Any recommendations for a silver one?

Should I replace sprockets too its an 05 with 17k?

Last edited:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you folks think about this: https://www.motomummy.com/chain-kit...ar-sprocket/stealth/supersprox-530-chain-kit/

If its good quality I am thinking that the candy blue might look good.

stealth530ck-1.jpg

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
That chain seems to be in gold only. Any recommendations for a silver one?

Should I replace sprockets too its an 05 with 17k?

Wait a second, you don't want a gold chain? My brain does not understand this concept :confused:

Personally, I'm a fan of anything DID. The OEM chain is DID, lasted me about 35k miles, the 530VM that replaced it lasted about the same. I don't think you can get better than that.

And yeah, always replace sprockets