Ram Mount for Bar Clamp and Garmin GPS.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
The subject of GPS mounting comes up from time to time so I thought I'd post the Ram Mount I came across and and installed this past weekend.

I think most are familiar with the universal u-bolt mount, but let's face it, it's not the cleanest look.

Don't know how long they have offered it, as I have never seen it before, but here is a neat solution:
2010-03-29074808.jpg

About $10 (or less online) and looks so much cleaner than the u-bolt style. Comes with the ball and 3 lengths of bolts.

2010-03-29074754.jpg

With my Garmin GPS mounted using their shortest "arm".

I picked up a pair of them since I will be swapping my GPS between the FZ and my Star 950. Their part number is RAM-B-367U.

tnfrosty

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing- that does look a lot cleaner than the u-bolt setup! I just installed my RAM mount 2 weekends ago (with the u-bolt setup) and may have to switch to this.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I was just about to look for a good way to mount an almost identical garmin. I have the 1" up / 1" back bar backs, though... think it would still work?

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
oh my! this is sooo much better than my current setup! i have a dumb thing blocking most of my handlebar space, leaving me with a very tight place to secure my current ram mount.. will take a picture of mine soon.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I was just about to look for a good way to mount an almost identical garmin. I have the 1" up / 1" back bar backs, though... think it would still work?

I would imagine it shouldn't be a problem as long as your riser uses the stock bolt size (M8).

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
For anyone with a map enabled Garmin but who only has something like MapSource without routing you can download a utility that will transfer none routable maps and convert them to routable maps on your Garmin IMG2GPS - Upload Garmin Maps to GPS

My current setup uses a handlebar mounted Garmin for visual map reference (and route tracking) with my Nokia (with free maps) in my pocket used to provide voice navigation into my bluetooth helmet. Works really well.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
You have to be kidding me....I seriously just drilled my top clamp and mounted the RAM ball to it 2 days ago...I could've bought this and saved my clamp haha.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to be kidding me....I seriously just drilled my top clamp and mounted the RAM ball to it 2 days ago...I could've bought this and saved my clamp haha.

Oh no! Did you at least take off the Yamaha emblem and drill there, so that you could replace the emblem and cover the hole if you ever needed to?

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site

:eek:

I only found out about this on a stop at a random bike shop that specializes in Goldwing/Harley parts. I was looking for saddlebag options for my Star 950, and they had a section of RAM mount stuff. Woman that runs the shop said they were new.

As versatile as the RAM system was, I hated that u-bolt look so I never bought any of their product. No I am wondering what else I could mount if I added another ball to the other side.

I ended up ordering the ball mounts and my gps mount from gpscity.com since they only had one mount in stock at the shop.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question, I have no idea, that's how it was when I picked it up at the dealer.

I'll be darned, it sure is! Just went out and fixed it. :thumbup:

Last edited:

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the OP, many thanks, I didn't know this variation of the mount existed and as others have said, it's much neater than the bar version IMO.

For riders this side of the pond, shipping from the US is like what!!! but you can get it here from within the UK. Superfast delivery.

Simon

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I have mentioned in another thread. I just used the exhisting windshield mount that came with my GPS and just sucked it onto the inside of the upper part of my windscreen.

The unit is perfectly centered and high enough so that when you look at the GPS you are not looking down. Your head and eyes are still up, enabling you to continue looking down the road, never a safety issue.

Another reason why I like this setup is because the unit is protected from the wind and rain. It's inside my windscreen. Just becareful not to go over huge bumps, it could fall off, but I have never had that happen yet.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
... I just used the exhisting windshield mount that came with my GPS and just sucked it onto the inside of the upper part of my windscreen.
....Just becareful not to go over huge bumps, it could fall off, but I have never had that happen yet.

The suction thingy on my Tom Tom lets loose every so often in my car. Not a big deal in the car where it just falls on the dash and then maybe to the floor. On a bike, it would probably end up in pieces all over the road. Hope yours hold on....

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
I would never trust my GPS to the suction cup mount. My Garmin (one in the pic) and my Tom Tom have them and they come "undone" from time to time.

I'm guessing you are using a "car" GPS since it came with the suction cup mount I'd have that tucked under my screen too! But, My Garmin is weatherproof, so that isn't a big concern.

Anyway, glad I was able to help some discover this. Strange that it's not something that more have heard of since it is a big improvement over the standard bar mount.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm disappointed that I can't use a RAM mount for my GPS (streetpilot c530), as the GPS can come off the mount. RAM actually recommends PVC cement. LOL. Um, no, not going to happen.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would never trust my GPS to the suction cup mount. My Garmin (one in the pic) and my Tom Tom have them and they come "undone" from time to time.

I'm guessing you are using a "car" GPS since it came with the suction cup mount I'd have that tucked under my screen too! But, My Garmin is weatherproof, so that isn't a big concern.

Anyway, glad I was able to help some discover this. Strange that it's not something that more have heard of since it is a big improvement over the standard bar mount.

My GPS is very lightweight. You must also have a very clean windscreen. If it ever fell, I'm hoping that it will get caught between the front of the tank between my inner fairing.

Trust me, If I ever lose it due to it's mount, you'll be the first to read about in my "I lost my GPS" thread.