Radiator Fan Compatibility

kilgore_trout

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and need a radiator fan. There are several on eBay that would fit an 06, but nothing for an 08. Yamaha part numbers are similar (2008: 4S8-12405-00-00, 2006: 5VX-12405-00-00).

Would the 2006 fan fit my 2008? A new blower costs 200-300, so I'd love to find a used one.

Thanks!

The housing and bracket assemblies may be different. Maybe the motor components are swappable if it's the motor?

Also some motors incorporate what is known as a micro temp fuse that is coupled with the winding. When the winding is overheated the micro temp opens the circuit to protect the motor.

I don't know if these fan motors are serviceable but it's worth a look. I'd take a crack at it.

Anyone want to send me their non working fan motor as a guinea pig? Microtemps are replaceable. You find the right heat range microtemp and install a new one. The FZ6 fan usually fails when a pebble gets jammed between the fan and the radiator...

Anyone ever tried to service a broken FZ6 fan before?

Last edited:
Well, mine failed when I got into an accident. One side of the radiator was pushed back into the motor. When it sprang back into place, the fan motor was stuck against the radiator. I freed the fan, and it spins freely, but I think it's toast.

I did some more research, and the brackets are different between an 06 and 08. It doesn't look like it would be possible to swap the components, so I might be out of luck.

Back