R6s Fork Conversion Complete - How much lower should my bike be?

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is an album of the bike reassembled, torqued down, test ridden, etc.

I feel like this mod significantly lowered my front end appearance-wise, but riding still feels comfortable (actually, I'd say significantly improved, though that is probably a biased statement due to the fact that I can E-brake now without bottoming out my front forks!)

Here is an imgur album of the completed bike.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Those who have performed this, did you notice your front end looking a little lower? I know the front forks are a tad bit shorter, and I set them 6mm lower in the triple as per recommendations here.

Any other comments or things to watch out for? Also - the instructions I've read state that my rebound damping should have 10 clicks... Mine only has 5? I'm not positive of the year these forks came from, but they are fresh from Yamaha with new oil and seals. Any ideas on that?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Measure the bike and rider SAG and post up!
A zip tie or velcro around the stanchion tube simplfy this!

8 to 12 mm bike
30 to 35 for bike and rider

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Snagging some velcro ties today at work to fully test it but I do believe that it is sitting normal when I am ON the bike (because the forks sag considerably less than the stock ones).

I will let you know. I set it up for 1 click past "Standard" (towards harder) on every setting.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
If you only have 5 clicks of adjustment, it's possible that whoever rebuilt the forks did not measure and reassemble them properly.

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Measure the bike and rider SAG and post up!
A zip tie or velcro around the stanchion tube simplfy this!

8 to 12 mm bike
30 to 35 for bike and rider

Bike is definitely lower on the front end. I'm sliding more forward in my seat while riding and the kickstand is much closer to the ground when I prop it up. To the point it makes me nervous.

Sag was at something stupid like 26mm for just the bike. I had it set to "Standard" According to manual for R6s - 6 lines on the preload sticking out of the fork.

I settled on almost exactly 4 lines to get 31.5mm with me on it vs the front completely unloaded. Seems a bit better now, the kickstand seems more effective.

Still very concerned about my 10 click damping only having 5 clicks...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rebound is fork cap. A quick fix.
Loosen the top triple pinch bolt(s).
Remove the bars.
BACK OUT BOTH rebound adjusters (counter clockwise).
Loosen and unscrew one fork cap. Hold the cap with a socket or wrench and loosen the damping rod lock nut.
Have some bendable clean wire handy like a 12" piece. Wrap it under the jamb nut so the rod doesnt sink into the stanchion tube.

Remove the cap and measure from the rods end to the nut. Set it to 11mm. Do not spin the nut on the rod!!
Thread cap on holding rod and nut in one hand so the nut does not move. With your free hand tighten the cap to the nut.
Remove the wire.
Oil the O-ring.
Tighten the cap to the fork.
Lightly bottom the adjuster and then count the turns out from bottom. You should get 10 or 11.

Repeat on the other fork.
Install bars and tighten pinch bolts!!!